Discuss Are my expectations too high? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Geronimo

Hello,

To cut a long story shirt, a while ago I employed a professional tiler to tile a floor and wall. Unfortunately the work was well below satisfactory. I pursued this matter via the legal route and was successfully in obtaining a full refund plus compensation. I had the work completely re-done and this time I chose a registered TTA tiler. The wall work is very good however I have a few issues with the floor and wondered if my expectations are far too high. The concrete floor was primed and levelled prior to fixing the tiles. The the tiles are level however there are some places where I still have tiles lipping. This was a massive problem in the first job something of which the TTA tiler was well aware of when he came to inspect the previous works. On the whole the job looks good from a standing position therefore I dont know whether to contact the tiler or not for his opinion as I do not want to appear disrespectful or critical of his workmanship, however I find it difficult to comprehend as to why I still have tiles lipping in certain areas 1/1.5mm 2mm in 1 area. 20sqm of floor and 5 sqm of wall took around 5 and half days at just under £1100 including material (not tiles). I have inspected a number of tiles myself and I do not see any signs of warping. I would be much obliged if you could advise whether my expectations are too high, or get the tiler back out to rectify, however I do not want to hassle and stress of my previous experience. Is this work industry standard and would be recognised as so by the TTA?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Images_Layout 1.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 316
C

Colour Republic

The floor certainly isn't terrible but not perfect. The grout looks a little too shallow for a start.

Before judgement could be passed you'd need to ensure the tiles are perfect and not curling in the corners, place a few face to face on each other, then inspect each corner to see if they meet.

If the tiles are slightly warped or cupping then it's almost impossible to get the floor perfectly flat, although large grout joints like that should hide some minor defects

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

it is of no consequence how much he charged or how long it took job to be completed

It kind of is though isn't it. £44 a meter for ceramics isn't excessive but it is a rate at which you can expect a little extra care and attention. If the OP had come on here and said 'I paid £100 for the lot we'd all be saying you've got a bargain so stop picking'

If the tiles are bowed then maybe the tiler should have advised the client that the floor will look ok but won't be perfect, if there isn't anything wrong with the tiles then maybe the floor isn't up to scratch... unless it's 1 lipped tile taken from 20 different angles :lol: In which case it should be replaced

T

Time's Ran Out

If it's the same quality tile at the 2nd time of asking then perhaps it is an issue with the tiles!
There is only 1 photo from distance and although I wouldn't want to pass comment on the quality of fixing from a few selected close ups, it's a bit like statistics - you can use them to illustrate any point!
In my humble opinion, you are never going to please everyone all the time, so show some metal and raise your concerns with the tiler involved and I'am sure he will be happy to discuss your expectations.

Good thread and thanks for posting.

G

Geronimo

Many thanks all for taking the time to read and reply to this thread. The grout joints are 3mm and I have checked some of the tiles I have left over by putting them face to face but I cannot see any evident warpage, however I appreciate that I may not have the trained eye.

If a customer came to any of you with these issues would you be personally offended in anyway or would you show some understanding and try to rectify the problem, even if I decided to contribute towards the your time for doing so?

Thanks again...

C

Colour Republic

Many thanks all for taking the time to read and reply to this thread. The grout joints are 3mm and I have checked some of the tiles I have left over by putting them face to face but I cannot see any evident warpage, however I appreciate that I may not have the trained eye.

If a customer came to any of you with these issues would you be personally offended in anyway or would you show some understanding and try to rectify the problem, even if I decided to contribute towards the your time for doing so?

Thanks again...

Wouldn't be offened at all unless the customer was aggressive or I thought they were trying it on. From your posts so far I don't think you would be.

Just raise your concerns and get them to explain why it wasn't possible to get the floor lip free. Personally I would also ask if they could re-grout the floor as some of it is quite low and you may find it hard to clean because of it.

As mentioned the job is 'acceptable' and within tolerance so how much the tiler is willing to do will depend on how good he thinks the floor is, if he knows it could be better then he'll want to keep you happy. Or he could think the floor is spot on and you're being fussy.

Just try him/her ;)

G

Geronimo

Its been a while but just so you are all aware having spoken to the TTA it appears that technically a lip on a floor tile can be as thick as a pound coin 3mm.

Flatness and variation from plumb:
± 3mm under a 2m straightedge.

I was told if I used a 2m length of wood with a pound coin under each end, the floor tolerance can technically drop by 3mm or raise by 3mm to touch the straight egde.

Last weekend I have took the bath room tiles up my self and refitted them, I have used a metal rule across each joint to elimainate any height difference/lippage, whilst ensuring each tile sits level. I just find it difficult to comprehend why a tiler registered with the TTA was not able to achieve the same. If you want a job doing and doing well........., now I just need to make the best of a bad situation by replacing individual tiles. Very dissappointed. :eek:(

C

charlie1

Its been a while but just so you are all aware having spoken to the TTA it appears that technically a lip on a floor tile can be as thick as a pound coin 3mm.

I was told if I used a 2m length of wood with a pound coin under each end, the floor tolerance can technically drop by 3mm or raise by 3mm to touch the straight egde.

Last weekend I have took the bath room tiles up my self and refitted them, I have used a metal rule across each joint to elimainate any height difference/lippage, whilst ensuring each tile sits level. I just find it difficult to comprehend why a tiler registered with the TTA was not able to achieve the same. If you want a job doing and doing well........., now I just need to make the best of a bad situation by replacing individual tiles. Very dissappointed. :eek:(

I dont know what you do for a living but you have the makings of a good tiler!

T

The D

this is incorrect i think as this is BS 5385 7.1.9.2 Across joints
There should be no appreciable difference in level across joints
(commonly called “lipping”) and the maximum deviation between
tile surfaces either side of a joint, including movement joints, should
be as follows.
a) Joints less than 6 mm wide, 1 mm.
b) Joints 6 mm or more wide, 2 mm.

Reply to Are my expectations too high? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB