Discuss Are you a healthy tiler ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Since I started tiling, my lungs have aged faster than my body. Went to the Doctors a couple of years ago because I kept feeling short of breath. My lungs are the lungs of a 76 year old whilst the rest of me was 46 (now 48). So I now have an inhaler.

Usual back problems, but I suffer more with my back when I'm at my laptop doing my book keeping.

Wear latex gloves all the time. Wear goggles when wet cutting. Don't have ear defenders. My shoulder needs an op, due to torn ligaments, but the op will involve several months off work!

I do suffer sore eyes from the dust.

I wear Redbacks.

T

TJ Smiler

When/where who for did you box tj?
I was in the late 80s early 90s for sandygate ABC in burnley .
Id still train/spar now if it was not for said head bleed , wife would go mad if i sparred now :(
Ive got a bit of a gut, can't get shut of it, no matter how much i drink :)
im doing 'total warrior' in june so the major traing starts next month ( im on a stag do in portugal as well end of april :) should be good training )

ABC, Yeah i know that club mate, got a great reputation. Never been in there but have herd that their facilities are among the best around. I used to box for Islington Boys club in North London, i think it's closed down now though!! my uncle is the chairman of Repton Boxing Club (you must of herd of that mate) in East London and my cousin was a pro from there, he was Nigel Benns sparring partner for his fight against Gerald Mclellan. It runs in the family, all the blokes in our mob have all boxed (whether we want to or not lol) I love it though mate, don't do it now cos of the knee but i can't get enough of it.

Often have a night down the York Hall in East London with the amateurs tournaments, great night out and the tickets are free for me thanks to my uncle :smilewinkgrin:. What's this bleed on the brain you had? from sparring mate?

O

One Day

I'm 38. Wear Floorlayers with the pads all the time so no knee probs yet other than soreness after a week on them.
Back normally goes about once a year between shoulders and neck so I see an osteopath who clicks everything back into place.
Cuts - tend to be quite careful but I bet there aren't many on here without at least a few decent scabs on their hands all the time.
I always wear safety specs when cutting with the grinder or small saw. Dewalt and bridge saw - I don't wear them. Always have a load of disposable ear plugs in my glovebox too if I'm not wearing earphones.
I have to own up to not wearing a mask as much as I know I should.
I mix outdoors and down wind but dry cutting stone and porcelain means I'm breathing it in.

When we spend money maintaining our vehicles I guess we should also maintain ourselves too.
I try to eat well and I can tell when I haven't been eating well / drinking too much as the energy levels start dropping off and I want to start later and finish earlier!

D

Dougs Third Go

generally very healthy for a 50 year old smoker, the knees are shot, but that was through rugby/athletics when a younger man, hearing is errr..selective? lol, but again probs down to headphones on full blast when I was younger, blood pressure is A1, cholesterol levels minimal etc. I do eat healthily and get a lot of "natural" exercise. Never really bothered too much with the PPE unless on a site where it's mandatory.

O

One Day

I forgot this bit but Is it just me or does anybody else get pains in their elbows? and when doing floors in the wrist from leaning on one hand most of the time?

Early days I remember this.
Try resting on a fist instead of an open palm, that'll stop the pain.
And be aware of not relaxing your shoulder muscle and putting all your weight on your wrist and elbow.

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
I wear knee pads , gloves , glasses when am grinding and try to wear dust masks as much as possible! I never had any knee problems or back problems , until I broke my right leg pretty badly 4 years ago , now I get pain often in both. ! The only time I didn't wear glasses I ended up in casualty with tile particles in my eye , scratched and scored the retina badly , so protecting eyes is a must. !

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
ABC, Yeah i know that club mate, got a great reputation. Never been in there but have herd that their facilities are among the best around. I used to box for Islington Boys club in North London, i think it's closed down now though!! my uncle is the chairman of Repton Boxing Club (you must of herd of that mate) in East London and my cousin was a pro from there, he was Nigel Benns sparring partner for his fight against Gerald Mclellan. It runs in the family, all the blokes in our mob have all boxed (whether we want to or not lol) I love it though mate, don't do it now cos of the knee but i can't get enough of it.

Often have a night down the York Hall in East London with the amateurs tournaments, great night out and the tickets are free for me thanks to my uncle :smilewinkgrin:. What's this bleed on the brain you had? from sparring mate?

Of coarse I've heard of repton boys,top club !
Nigel Benn,I've got a good story about him,long story short,me and my mate went to watch our other mate fight a eliminator for the British middle(could of been light middle) title on the Benn/Eubank 2 bill at old Trafford,my mate was at ringside while I was at the bar just before Benn got in the ring,he got dragged in by a fellow and he ended up being in Nigel Benns corner for 12 rounds,I was gutted ,when ever anyone mentions Benn,he brings the story up,the bar steward.
I go to shows around here ,but never been York hall,meant to not so long back when I went to Twickenham,a mate of ours trains pros and had a lad on at York hall,we got that drunk though watching rugby we never bothered.
One of my mates is boxing for some WBC belt in a couple of weeks so we going to that.
The bleed was from sparring at gym with seniors,just before my 40th b day,it cleared up after a week in hospital and month off work and loads of steroids :) so not allowed to spar now :(

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Are you a healthy tiler ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
We're getting some forum shirts done, Polo Shirts, found a good quality one that's longer than...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
A
Hi all, relatively new to tiling but I’m giving it a good go! I’m having major probs with my...
Replies
Views
Andrew Smith
A
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
S
Hi again, after a little advice regarding a tiler I've just used to help speed up the project...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB