Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter Colour Republic
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 5K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss ATT: Joe Bloggs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joe bloggs

The layout is something like this

joe-bloggs-albums-j-bloggs-ensuite-picture6402-bathroom-plan.jpg

but with a cranked shower bath. The West outside wall behind the bath 'tap' end to be used for the shower valves; The bath taps and filler will be mounted on the South side of the bath.

The corner with the bath in is this one
joe-bloggs-albums-j-bloggs-bathroom-picture5894-south-west-corner-tap-end-bath.jpg

and is block/lime plaster. you can see the H&C and electrics for the old power shower, the lime, the render, and at the bottom the exposed blocks behind the bath that were never plastered.

In the wall I'll fix this shower mixer,

joe-bloggs-albums-j-bloggs-bathroom-picture6403-shower-mixer.jpg

the H&C from below in 22mm, 22mm outlet to ceiling for overhead shower head, and an outlet for a shower wand on a riser rail, so the wall is quite busy.

There are different tile weight limits for different types of substrate...
I can see that, and thanks for the link WB, but don't see the relationship between skimming the board and tile weight, i.e. if skimming it makes it carry less weight why would I skim it?.

cheers,

Joe

J

joe bloggs

If I go the plasterboard route, and never having done dot and dab...how thick is the adhesive layer when its done? I need it thin enough so I can get the board to line up with the old render. I know It'll depend on how uneven the blockwork is but I may be able to 'adjust' any wayward blocks to a certain extent. If I had some board (12.5mm moisture resistant?) and adhesive here I'd experiment, but haven't.

cheers

joe

J

joe bloggs

You could use a 9.5mm board on this occasion but use plenty of adhesive (dry wall stuff) because of the thickness of the board.
Damp the wall first before appling the dry wall adhesive

That sounds like the answer, I could use 9.5mm on the solid walls, sort of like big tiles, and if the adhesive is strategically and generously applied will allow subsequent chopping out for the plumbing. Probably use Wickes adhesive as their stuff always seems OK.
12.5mm on the stud walls as per last time? Would moisture resistant board be better all round?

That mixer looks similar to the one I have in my own shower
365, valve is 'Home of Ultra' from their 'Aspect' range.

Joe

J

joe bloggs

All southern water is hard!You have to come up North to have soft water that you can drink, wash and do the dishes without adding a Fairy.:thumbsup:

actually the water here is soft, no fairies, or rather pixies required. I think it's the East-Midlands to the South/South-East of England that has to put up with the hard stuff. Probably a result of us being on proper rock forged in the centre of the earth rather than all that crumbly pseudo rock made from mashed sea shells.

joe

Reply to ATT: Joe Bloggs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
Hi been a lurker for a while. I buy property and renovate to sell or rent. I do most of this...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
ATT: Joe Bloggs
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.