UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss B&Q Installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Grahamb12

We have recently had a bathroom installed by b&q, the wall tiles we chose were travetine 480mm x 330mm. i have several issues, of which the project manager is coming to inspect.
I need to be armed with information on accepatble levels of lippage and quality of tiling. I will post as much information as i can .
1. There are many areas of the tiling that has in excess of 2mm lippage, this has been measured against a 2p piece.
2. the tiles were cut with a circular saw, so many of the cuts have very rough edges and are not straight.
3. the window return is 10mm different in width from top to bottom, and i have used a spirit level to confirm this, needless to say, the blind that used to be in the window, now doesnt fit. it is an exact fit at the bottom, but now wont fit at the top.

My question is where do I stand in asking for these problems to be rectified, i have put poly coving up over the tiles at the ceiling and this shows many of the lippage problems too.

G

Grahamb12

P1040120.JPG P1040115.JPG P1040116.JPG P1040114.JPG P1040117.JPG P1040113.JPG

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
And I would push that the window reveal is well out. It should at least be square. Not all windows you can do this with as some old houses just are not square at all but a tiler is meant to have the skill to make it look as square as possible. Though a window that was square in the first place, it's shocking to see it so out. While they're there, they may as well re-do that too.

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Nothing to add to what issues you have noticed yourself and what the guys have noticed from the pictures. You are completely within your rights to ask them to sort the problems out. I'd place a good bet on there being other issues in the bathroom too (e.g other internal corners grouted and not siliconed). Have a good look round before the project manager comes round in the hope of getting them all sorted.

I

Ian

As has already been said, very poor standard of work. Bad cuts, internals grouted instead of silicone, lipping etc etc. Can I ask if it was someone who worked for B&Q that fitted the tiles or was it a sub contractor for the company? Either way, as Andy says, write a list of all your problem areas and present the project manager with it, there should be no arguments from him/her as this is not even a DIY standard of fitting. Hope you get it all sorted, let us know how you get on.

P

paul78

funny you mention tiling from b&q...... having recently visited a house to correct some work with a recent b&q kitchen the splashback tiling is apalling! brick pattern 5 rows high and 5th row they didnt follow brick style just normal tile on tile!!!! shocking, no silicone anywhere even around sink area, doors not flush etc. 7k kitchen all in and it was 4k for kitchen and 3k for the fit. b&q take 1.5k and the same for the sub-contractor.
check if they have qualifications because i know a lot of them who havnt got any! b&q just want to make the money.
if im right in thinking you have to fill a sheet in afterwards about the work giving scores out of 5 etc......
and as for cutting the tiles they cut of got a better cut of a £40 basic tile cutter from b&q!!!

G

Grahamb12

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice so far, there are no silicon joins anywhere. And many more examples of lippage. I think me and the mrs could have done better. B&Q. Sub all their work to a project manager, who in turn subs it to others. To add insult to injury, the subbie who removed the old suite and tiles etc damaged our front door( brand new composite door worth £1000 fitted)
I will take on all advice offered, if any1 lives near the syston area of Leicester there may be some work at the end of this . As I won't have the same tiler back.
B&Q charged us £600 for 11 square meters of tiling..... Sub standa

Reply to B&Q Installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Work Done Epoxy grout was installed by the Grouting company on the tiles on the external balcony...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.