Discuss B&Q - Tiling Course!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

all too familiar case there Bob. merely a few years ago I was the same, tiling virgin in the hands of B&Q advice. thankfully I found this place whilst doing some research and my first tiling job went without a hitch.

it's a shame that diy sheds are trying to dumb down trades to allow members of the public to do it themselves. sometimes you just have to realise you don't have the ability, capability and knowledge to do these jobs. I wouldn't touch gas or complex plumbing or complex electrics. but so many people do and then end up getting caught out.

S

SandyFloor

I mentioned this to the wife last night and asked her reaction as a civilian. She said " Is it a bad thing for people to learn it's not as easy as it looks and it takes quite a while longer than most think?"

I think she has a point. I've worked in many new kitchens where the customer has tiled their own splashback. In most cases it's been a tidy enough job but, by their own admittance, it's taken them a week, stressed them out, they wouldn't do it again and certainly wouldn't attempt a bathroom.

D

david campbell

You know, I'm not sure, but I think it might be something to do with Construction Skills College Limited (tradeteacher.co.uk). He mentioned something about B&Q the other day when I was there.

paying attention dan?
thinking-009.GIF

T

tfs

Many people are trying to save money in this climate and will do there own tiling etc. B&Q as a diy outlet will be trying to capitalise on this. B & Q will probs just show them the basics e.g.

1. Tell them how tiles are cut (ceramics)
2. Tell them what is used to stick tile to the wall (ready mixed ofcourse lol)
3. Explain the grouting procedure (again, readymixed probably) lol
4. Possibly a litlle on tile care

Customers/ diyers will probs appreciate this as many have no idea how it is done. They will probably be shown some tiling being done on a small board of MDF.

This will be nothing in depth at all and not enough information that will be great use but, it may give customers the confidence to tackle small jobs and this may get B&Q a few sales and some good publicity.

I personally wouldnt take any offence to this. There are many niave people who under value trades, I dont think B&Q fall under this catagory. If you have ever done any work for B&Q you will notice that they pay well for your skills.

Somerset
Agree with latest posters - B & Q are not offering courses teaching you to be a professional tiler in 4 hours - their customers want to DIY and B & Q have taken a marketing opportunity to encourage them to DIY tile (and buy their superior (cough) products in the process). Sandyfloor is right - most will get totally stressed out by the experience of wife saying "haven't you finished that little tiling job yet?" as they try to cut a 3mm wide L-shaped tile around a fused spur......

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I've seen some shocking diy tiling.

Tiling over wallpaper

Tiling over the flimsy 6mm hardboard airing cupboard wall over the bath, and having tiles drop off evertime you get in the bath

Tiling right upto sockets without taking cover off

Tiling round the toilet cistern and leaving a silly gap around the lid that can't be filled with anything

Tiling straight over loose floorboards

Laying wall tiles on the floor with wall grout

Tiling up to a bath panel (mainly floor) so bath panel is near imposible to remove

Starting with a full tile at one end and having a 10mm slither cut at other end

Cracking that delicate cut tile (you know the ones!) and leaving it cracked

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

W

White Room

I've seen some shocking diy tiling.

Tiling over wallpaper

Tiling over the flimsy 6mm hardboard airing cupboard wall over the bath, and having tiles drop off evertime you get in the bath

Tiling right upto sockets without taking cover off

Tiling round the toilet cistern and leaving a silly gap around the lid that can't be filled with anything

Tiling straight over loose floorboards

Laying wall tiles on the floor with wall grout

Tiling up to a bath panel (mainly floor) so bath panel is near imposible to remove

Starting with a full tile at one end and having a 10mm slither cut at other end

Cracking that delicate cut tile (you know the ones!) and leaving it cracked

Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Moved into a house many moons ago, it made my life so much easier taking the tiles off

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

well I must be a real dimwit then!!, still learning after 30 odd years!

we all still learn new stuff because the industry is always evolving , but the BASICs can be learned in a few day's,anyway tiling was part of a plasterers job when i did my apprenticeship, and not a trade on its own, there are still lots of good tilers that are skilled in other trades as well !!

N

newton&stockley

Hi all, new to this forum, I was at the constuction skills college a few weeks ago, and the b&q staff were doing courses learning different trades. All never done any work around the house, never cut a skirting board, never tiled, never fitted a tap. They did about 2/3 days training on each trade. Iv'e been thinking off booking myself on the course to ask some hard questions! Plus its a joke that the people on the course get 10% off tiles and people with trade cards only get 5%.

U

user123

we all still learn new stuff because the industry is always evolving , but the BASICs can be learned in a few day's,anyway tiling was part of a plasterers job when i did my apprenticeship, and not a trade on its own, there are still lots of good tilers that are skilled in other trades as well !!

That's true, the same goes for all trades, from seamstress to plumber, to get to know the principles, the tools, the materials to some extend. But then comes the perfecting for the basics to become more than basics. I can use my sewing machine reasonably well, but couldn't make a suit without getting a nervous breakdown, I can make mosaics but haven't mastered all techniques for all conditions with all materials yet, I'm pretty good at woodwork and have made tables, small cabinets and shelves but wouldn't feel confident about a dovetail jointed chest of drawers, and thanks to NETT I'm a better tiler now than I was before but couldn't do most of the stuff as well as you top guys, and we all know about plumbers knowing the basics and making a complete hash of it. The journey of mastering a subject, any subject you're into, there is nothing better, is there?

Reply to B&Q - Tiling Course!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Can anyone suggest how I might find some of these (or something very similar from another...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I know it's a long shot, we had our kitchen tiled in b&q tiles in 2017, we adjusted the kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

DJS

TF
Peel Hall, Manchester

Thread Information

Title
B&Q - Tiling Course!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.