UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Bad Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jolly fix

home today,paper work catch up.thought id watch a bit of tv,'the renovation game' one of those daytime tv makeover/building shows.turned it off due to it making me angry,again like most if not all of these shows just bad advice,today on this show whilst removing tiles from bathroom "ah these tiles are well stuck,you should paint emulsion on wall prior to tiling,this would make them easier to take off in the future:yikes:".how do these shows get away with it?90% say to prime with p.v.a etc,no talk about weight/size of tile .......etc....not only is it wrong but can be dangerous,if a chef on one of the many cook shows said to fill a chip pan to the top with oil,then you can leave pan on the heat for several hours and it would be fine etc,it wouldnt get on air!!there has to be something for this more than just writing in to complain...

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've just turned a large bathroom job away due to the customer wanting me to tile over existing tiles. I explained to them about weight onto plasterboard, plus tiling over tiles. They wanted to put all the sanitary ware back in the same position even though the walls would be standing proud by another tile and adhesive. The shower quadrant frame would then stand proud of the tray but they just didn't get it. Wrote them a letter explaining it all in writing all the points when I went out to see them, and that I would only consider doing the job when the tiles had been removed.

Needless to say they never came back to me, so I can only surmise that they got someone who was prepared to do the work and leave them in a precarious position with two small children.

Just hope they're insured!!!

G

Gazebo

Hi Jollyfix and all, As a plumber by trade these were the kind of things i had to endure from tilers in the past, common sense told me it wasnt right so I started searching the good ole interweb and found this site.

It has been an absolute godsend to me in providing me with all the correct knowledge and procedures for installing tiles onto the correct substrates with the correct adhesives.

Where are these tilers taught to tile onto emulsion,pva,hardboard(yes hardboard).

They could all do with half a day searching this forum.

I still see tilers sticking up large format ceramics with greenstar and such like. why oh why I ask myself.

Anyway Thanks to all on this forum and oh am I waffling now....yawn too early,.....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bad Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
We’re currently having our bathrooms fully redone including stripping back, boarding, tiling...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I live in a fairly new build house that was built 8...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Bad Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.