Discuss Bad start to the day... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I know I said I thought the biggest no no was when someone walks of site, but I know now that isent true. The worst thing is when someone doesnt turn up on site. Heres one example.

We had been booked to re-do a couple of mosaic steps to some swanky 'bistro'. The tiling company before had done a nice job except for one thing, there were no falls on the treads and the substrate was uneven so there were great big pools of water sitting there waiting for someone to have a tumble and start a lawsuit.

The plan was this we strip of the mosaic, re-do the substrate and then mosaic over it. These works had to take place at the weekend, as the client was hoping to get all his retentions signed of on the Monday morning. My normal man was back in Italy, so I rang XXXX who said yep Lynn no problem I'll be there first thing Saturday morning.

Saturday morning arrives, Im up at 5, jump in the Pebbs mobile and set off. Grab a coffee on the way and have a nice trouble free journey, this was the calm before the storm. Got there in good time, unload all the gubbings, the client arrives....half an hour later Im getting a bit nervous where is XXXX I think. So I ring......straight onto voicemail, perhaps hes driving and cant answer, so leave a message. Half an hour later he calls....Lynn I cant come in today, I didnt get in till 4! Can I do it next weekend? :mad2::mad2:

Now Im having palpatations, and a wave of sheer terror is rolling through me. The area is already cordoned off, and they are giving me funny looks, I cant turn around and tell them Ive been dropped in it. I ring one of my lads, and explain to him whats happened, yes he's coming to the rescue but hes an hour and half away. He tells me to make a start on it....Make a start?!! what do you mean make a start! Get your finger out and start chopping it up he says. Im clueless, so he said get that silver thing out the box its called a chisel and get the other thing out thats called a hammer and start to chip the mosaic away you silly cow!

So there I am on my hands and knees making a right hash of it, and the client is loving it. Phone goes its my hero, sorry Lynn the jubilee line isent running I got to get the bus...might be a bit late.... now I am truely on meltdown. Two hours later the man of the moment turns up, and takes over. 'You did quite a good job there Lynn, I might have to take you on full time!' I burst into tears and cried for England there and then. So yes in my opinion the worst thing is when they dont turn up for work.

Lynn

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bad start to the day... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Bad start to the day...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.