Discuss Best construction/prep method for bathroom floor? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

peterparker

Hi there

I'm new to the forum so please bare with me. I am having an en suite shower room fully tiled with electrical ufh, it used to be a bedroom. At the moment there are just joists, the boards are shot so will be going in the bin. It's quite a large room ie 3.8m x 2.7m.

What I'd like to know is the best way to construct the floor from the joists up. Cost is not an issue, it has to be a perfect job which lasts.

I've read lots of historic posts and know that I need some combination of 18-25mm wbp ply, hardie backer, insulated board, ditra matting, latex, flexible adhesive etc.

I just need to know the exact order they go in etc.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
My 10 penneth.

make sure joists are level and flat.
put felt on any pipes to stop creaking.
glue and screw noggins at 450 or 18 inch centres, depending on ply size.
glue and screw 18mm exterior grade ply.
prime boards.
Fit insulation boards with SPF and screw with washers.
tile using SPF

or fit backer board and tile.

Last edited:
P

peterparker

My 10 penneth.

make sure joists are level and flat.
put felt on any pipes to stop creaking.
glue and screw noggins at 450 or 18 inch centres, depending on ply size.
glue and screw 18mm exterior grade ply.
prime boards.
Fit insulation boards with SPF and screw with washers.
tile using SPF

or fit backer board and tile.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, may I ask you a few further questions please?

1) If I use rock wool between the joists is this as good as insulating board? I'd be keen on rock wool as it will provide some sound insulation as well.

2) Some people suggest using 'latex', is this just an additive in the SPF?

3) As belt and braces I might as well use ditra matt, should this go on top of the backer board and then UFH on top of that?

4) Shall I tank the wet areas and if so do I apply the tanking paint directly to the ply?

Thanks again

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Should ply used onto joists as flooring not be structural ply rather than just exterior grade? Some exterior grade ply isn't very good with voids etc & may not be up to being used a flooring as opposed to just over boarding.
With plenty of noggins its fine. Try deforming a 450x450 piece . Better would be 22mm on a larger floor, but I've never (yet!) had a problem, as long as it is good quality ply. Not from the sheds, there is a massive difference in quality. Best purchased from a good timber merchant.

S

Stef

Hi Stef

I'm talking about tanking ply on the floor, there is no ply on the walls. Two of the walls are external ie brick/block construction, the third will be covered in backer board and the fourth will never see any water.

Thanks

Personally I would overboard the ply with a backerboard, use an insulation board & tape the joins & it will be waterproof & no need to tank.

S

Stef

It's the way Hardi state it should be fitted.
When we say glue it effectively means mixing up tile adhesive & combing the floor with a 6mm notch trowel then laying the Hardi on top of this.
I mix my adhesive slightly wet as the cement board will sook moisture from the adhesive.
There is a grid pattern on the Hardi & you will see circles indents these are where to fix your screws, I use ScrewFix turbo golds 25mm.
It's pretty straight forward & gives a good solid surface to tile to.
They say standard adhesive to fix Hardi but I use a flexi as it sits better in my head as you are fixing to wood that moves slightly..

P

peterparker

Thanks Stef and sorry for the delay in replying.

Because of previous bad experiences and the cost of the tiles I want to belt and braces. So I'd like to tank(using paint) the wet areas and use ditra mat. So two more stupid questions please?

1) Do I tank the ply or the backer board??

2) I take it the ditra should be 'glued' to the backer board using the same flexible adhesive? But which sized trowel should be used?

All the help so far is really appreciated.

S

Stef

No need to tank the floor if your using Ditra (its waterproof) just make sure you use waterproof tape in all internal corners.
Tank the walls with a suitable tanking kit, I use Mapei aquadefence but there are a few on the market, Ardex sticks like the proverbial & is one of the best out there.
Ditra is only effective on lateral movement it will not help if there's any bounce in the floor.
Fix with either a 4mm or 6mm notch trowel.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best construction/prep method for bathroom floor? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
I've gone cross-eyed reading threads on here trying to work out how to get my bathroom ready to...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Hello everyone, I tried to avoid asking this question as I'm sure you're all sick of seeing...
Replies
Views
Hi guys! Right, so I'm starting this job next week (I'm the builder as you know!) so I need to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB