Discuss Bit of a Dilemma today. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

To be honest, I'm a bit saddened by the replies to this thread. Am I just being complacent In my everyday life or should I maybe start to worry a bit more and not trust the people around me. Would all you guys do the same thing if it were a sixteen year old guy in the house, or what about an older woman that's maybe having a glass of vino on a sunny afternoon. What is the cut off age for where you start to feel comfortable enough to work in someone's home with a male or female resident present, bearing in mind, it's legal for a sixteen year old to be in the house alone. I'm not having a go at any of your decisions, but what exactly are your concerns.....?? I guess some of you wouldn't let your own daughter in the house with a workman there, but the daughter had already contacted their parents with regards to going home and she also knew that Enduro was there...

Yeh, there is all that, I fully appreciate where you're coming from, it's all daft, but I suppose it's just a matter to rather be safe than sorry.

I worked as a youthworker for a while, a few decasdes back, and drove the theenagers around in a council minibus, on trips and stuff, to Judo competitions etc. There was a spare petrol can in the back, as always, and one of the kids decided to play silly billys and light up a *** in the bus. I say, come off it, it's no smoking in here, you know that, and there's a can of petrol, - as he well knew. (This lad says, - and we usually got on, too) right, if you don't let me smoke I'll go home and tell my folks you abused me - this is a 15 year old lad talking to the woman youth worker! I laughed, 2 other lads thought that was hilarious and joined into that sort of talk, also lighting up ****. I stopped the van, bearing in mind that this was a 9:30 pm, in the middle of nowhere in the Cornish countryside, before mobiles were about and me with 10 or so teenagers in the dark. Opened the back doors, said, if you want to walk home, be my guest, knowing full well I couldn't do that, and they knew it to. I scraped by with the bit of authority I still had and the fact that the other kids were pretty unsure about it all, managed to convince them to put the **** out and climb into the bus so we could all go home, but it was close, a bit of alchohol involved and there could have been all sorts of trouble.

Did I put myself into that same situation again? You bet I didn't... the upshot is you just never know...

W

williamraff

What's with the confusion? it's simple - there has to be an officially recognized cut off point between "minors" and "responsible adults".

Minors should not be left alone with strangers - no matter how much we trust them.

Remember it is not just about what an individual might do to a minor, I shudder to think what unsupervised youngsters might get up to whilst the "trusted" tradesman is about his work.

As the only "responsible adult" on the premises you may find the finger of blame pointed in your direction.

Answer = don't put yourself in that position in the first place.

Reply to Bit of a Dilemma today. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, Phil wanted me to put up a post today, just to let everybody know he's hanging in there ;0)...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M
F
Had one today, Went to look at the job prior to starting. It's a plumber who I know's daughter...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Bit of a Dilemma today.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.