Guest viewing is limited

Discuss brick flooring, 9"x4"x42mm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bryan

Hey everyone,

I've got a job coming up as described, I was just wanting to know if anyone out ther had done anything similar, as its not you run of the mill tiing job especially the thickness of tile/brick (42mm). Would you recommend floor or wall trowel, rapid or standard set, or any other tips or pointers including setting out as they have to be laid brick bond thoughout ground floor, with them being so small planning out seems to be almost pointless as I'm bound to be left with bad cuts everywhere.

Thanks,
Bryan

R

Richard Edwards

As Alan has said - use the joint width as a means of ending up with 'proper' cuts at the ends of each run.

You need to decide / with client if your going to lay them at 50% joints all the time or vary the bond to go say 66 / 33 etc ie irregular bond.

Get the substrate as flat as you would for fine porcelain i e SLC if necessary

Use slow setting / standard setting adhesive as you wil need to slide them along to 'ease' the joints.

Check the brick - sometimes called 'slip bricks' face and see how your going to grout them. Very rough faces will be a pig to grout and a sponge will last about 30 mins if your lucky. Then ponder the matter of sealing and consider a couple of coats of sealer before grouting and a coat afterwards too.

Setting out - As I see it consider it the same as paviours - check the walls for run out and plan the lines accurately. Nothing looks worst than lines of bricks, all bends and wobbles. I would consider using a straight edge to tile up to - ie 3 or 4m batten that is dead straight.

Go for it with your eyes shut and your customer will need to be visually impaired, go for it with your eyes open and your customer can enjoy the result.

Please post some pictures please of results - interesting.

Attached photo will show why its important to plan it correctly - This central line was layed first - something you might consider Bryan.

Attachments

• Slip bricks Interlock pattern -Terracotta-En-Comp.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 42
B

Bryan

Thanks all for the advice this has helped me get my head around some of the obvious problems especially varying my lines to avoid nighmare cuts.

The contractor originally wanted 10mm grout lines Alan but have since told him the amount of grout needed is already crazy an have told him 4mm will keep the cost down, which brings me onto my next problem, estimating how much grout I'll need with tiles so small and deep.

I am in the process of quoting now, I am confident of getting the job as it seems all the local tilers are avoiding it like the plague but I dont want to price myself out. Do you think £** psm is to much? I'm thinking its not enough.

Thanks again,

Bryan

We're not really supposed to discuss pricing in this part of the forum, without mentioning ££££££'s, it all depends, if your suppling materials etc and you know your speed and how long the job will take, you'll know what profit there is, question is, are you happy with it.

For a grout calculator, see here.

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to brick flooring, 9"x4"x42mm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
O
    • Informative
    • Useful
So Gary and I have come down to Hastings to inspect a large Porcel-thin floor that is failing...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Replies
Views
T
Hi all. First time poster here so thanks in advance for any help you can give and apologies if...
Replies
Views
N
Hi, I'm not a tiler but I'm after some advice if that's OK. Basically some floor tiles in a...
Replies
Views
G
Hi all. Went to view a job last night, larger than I usually get these days. Rear of house just...
Replies
Views
gobby
G

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
brick flooring, 9"x4"x42mm
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.