Discuss Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

I found the photos,
that panel is that?
I thought it was cement, sorry.
I laid the plumber.
Was the first time for me.
And I hope the last.

IMG_20170307_072518.jpg IMG_20170307_072535.jpg IMG_20170213_150826.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
So using an anhydride screed over aluminium would result in the same reaction Alan yeah?

So would that translate in to any anhydride suitable products like Anhyfix adhesive, or Anhylevel have the same reaction? Just trying to clarify.

I know you know you're correct, but we can definitely confirm that, through our research we found that a lot of priming methods were ineffective.

Any further info would be helpful Alan, thanks.

Any alkali in contact with the un oxidised aluminium foil on insulation will have the same reaction. That goes for gypsum levellers, screeds and tile adhesives as well as those based on cement including sand cement sreeds. With gypsum the reaction is somewhat slower as tge evolution if hydroxyl ions is slower. Typically though it will still happen within a few hours of application. With gypsum screeds it results in what look very much like mole hills on the screed surface. I gave been able to limit it in the past by applying several thick coats of PVA. Yes I said PVA... lol. I have never found a suitably practical priming technique that was guaranteed to overcome it though. Interestingly if the foil has been around gircacejile and has oxidised the reaction us much less pronounced. I did try using a vinegar solution to promote oxidation once but the whole house stank for weeks after.

Epoxy might work but it would be an expensive solution.

The reaction is partly the reason why all floating screeds should be placed on a polythene slip membrane.

D

Dumbo

Any alkali in contact with the un oxidised aluminium foil on insulation will have the same reaction. That goes for gypsum levellers, screeds and tile adhesives as well as those based on cement including sand cement sreeds. With gypsum the reaction is somewhat slower as tge evolution if hydroxyl ions is slower. Typically though it will still happen within a few hours of application. With gypsum screeds it results in what look very much like mole hills on the screed surface. I gave been able to limit it in the past by applying several thick coats of PVA. Yes I said PVA... lol. I have never found a suitably practical priming technique that was guaranteed to overcome it though. Interestingly if the foil has been around gircacejile and has oxidised the reaction us much less pronounced. I did try using a vinegar solution to promote oxidation once but the whole house stank for weeks after.

Epoxy might work but it would be an expensive solution.

The reaction is partly the reason why all floating screeds should be placed on a polythene slip membrane.
Is that why we put slip coats on celotex

L

LM

The calcium hydroxide aluminium reaction is fairly basic chemistry. The same thing happens when you put calcium sulphate direct to aluminium. Priming has generally proven to be ineffective in preventing the reaction so the best thing js to avoid it altogether by either not using aluminium or putting a slip membrane down first.
I hope you ran this past Spacey first Alan before posting ;)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
there's very little that they claim that can't do.
use it to prime resin backed stone, painted epoxy floors, gypsum
its a wonder product
I'm going to refrain from comment in respect of my opinion of Mapei

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
In the case of using the Isolastic liquid, does it bind the alkali element of the Portland Alan, how does it work?
Mapei also state that latex plus is a no no,
reading tech sheets there's little or no difference in the two products, but I'm sure there must be something.
Would just like to understand how this can be prevented.
Not sure it binds the alkali element but some latex compounds have resistance to alkaline conditions. Styrene butadiene is used to make latex concretes which have high flexural strength. I don't know what the mapei stuff is made from so not sure. I know it's a type of latex so maybe it's the butaduene form.

Reply to Retro fit ufh & Hydrogen gas causes floor failure. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB