UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Brutus 1100W bench saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

findus

Hi you've got yourself a new member here.

I'm not new to the trade though with around 35 years experience in the building trade and first started working on my knees screeding and laying Marley tiles by the acre on bitumen. I seem to have spent most of my working life on my knees ever since.

I do have a question.......I've been eyeing up a Brutus 1100W bench saw in my local Topps Tiles and have been offered it for £400 inc VAT because that branch haven't sold one yet and they'd like someone to review it. Maybe I look like a guinea pig!

I've googled the saw and was sent to Machine Mart and even though the saw hasn't been around for long they've discontinued it. Maybe I should ask them why, but I wondered if anyone here has had any experiences of this particular saw.

£400 is too much to spend on a lemon.

Thanks

F

findus

I've been offered 'a go' on the Brutus in the Topps store. But I've turned that down and have asked them to loan the cutter to me and to expect a full review in return. I've explained that there are no reviews out there anywhere and evidently an area manager has been consulted and I'm waiting for his/her decision.

Having had a second look at the Brutus I agree with Bri, the build quality does look good. I think I may have spotted a weak point though. The sliding bed has 2 nylon or plastic rollers underneath it which slide along a painted steel rod. As soon as this rod gets scratched (which it will by tile chips etc) it will rust and those plastic rollers won't last very long and the bed will drop slightly on one side and be sliding metal on metal. Then the blade won't be square with the tile.

OK I'd better not condemn the thing before I've tried it. But I'll let you know ASAP. So, as they say, watch this space.

In the meantime here's some photos of my last job. I think the customers design is a bit naff but I just gave him my fourpenny worth and 'put up and shut up'
P1000971.jpg P1000972.jpg P1000974.jpg P1000975.jpg P1000976.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Brutus 1100W bench saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

H
Hi All, Firstly I'm not a tiler! I've just moved in with my partner and I'm looking to rent out...
Replies
Views
I
J
I’m looking to put quarry tiles down in the kitchen in the rear part of my victorian terraced...
Replies
Views
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
Hi guys For years now I've been using Marcrist CK850 in my 125mm grinder and I also have a...
Replies
Views
S
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Brutus 1100W bench saw
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.