UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Can I restore this floor using Durabase CI matt ??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tenazes

Hello people,

I'm restoring an old house and I am about to cover the floors with ceramic tiles. The problem is that the floor consists only in a mortar layer laid over some gravel directly on the soil. The mortar layer has some cracks and recently I've found (while opening paths for electrical wires) that in some places it consists in 2 layers that became uncoupled.
Searching this forum I've found Durabase CI ++ uncoupling matt... it is almost a miraculous solution...

Will it work in my case?

I'll attach some pictures 8.JPG 7.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG .

T

Tenazes

Thank you all for your honest comments. This is really a great forum!!
First of all, please excuse my english because it is not my maternal language

I'm an ordinary guy that want to go out of the city and I bought this very old house. I'm doing all the recovering by myself, trying to do the best possible job with the available knowledge, budget (small) and time.
Although the pictures look bad, the cracks are very old cracks possibly due to rain water infiltration over the years and first years natural movements. (the roof was in a bad shape and all the roof had to be changed - for that job I had to hire someone) .
The rooms are a kitchen and a bathroom with approx. 15 sq.mtr and 5.5 sq mtr
I was suspicious about laying the tiles directly over this floor and that was when I found out about Ditra and Dural. These seemed to be a miraculous solution that would prevent me from digging everything up. As these matts can even be layed over wood floors that have a considerable natural movement I thought these would be a good solutions for my case.

I see that it is general opinion that this is not a good solution...

- Can you suggest anything else outside from digging everything (I am already placing the electrical wiring and starting the wall tiles and this would be a major setback) ? The sewers are also already layed.
- What can happen? Cracks appearing on the tiles anyway? I understand that for a professional starting a job this would be a high risk, but for someone in my position, would the risk be preferable to digging everything up?

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I really need some help on this

T

Tenazes

Many thanks!!

In fact rising damp is not a problem as it would be in the UK. With the roof fixed and the rain water correctly drained I don't think I'll have problems with that. I am working on that house for over 1.5 years (a long adventure...) and even with the old roof there was not so much damp. Anyway, I was thinking that Durabase or Ditra matts provide good impermeability, leaving the borders with no sealing to allow any vapour to escape.

I'll have to make the jump test to be sure, but I've never noted any movements or new cracks. In some areas, when you bang on it with something it produces a hollow sound (probably detached areaS). For a time I've stored there about 20 bags of pre-mixed mortar (25 kg each) on a pallet and when the roof was being changed the floor supported a large pile of rubble. I didn't noted anything.
One set of cracks was always there, but there is another one that I'm not sure.
Although it seems very fragile on the above pics, It was not so easy to break when I was digging the electrical wire paths. Sometimes large pieces came out without breaking. There was even an "island" remaining and I could walk on it with no problem.

Will the jump test be enough to know that Durabase will work?

Breaking solutions are no doubt the most safe bets, but would also be a major set-back.

2 more pics for the whole floor...don't mind about the mess
chao cozinha geral.JPG chao cozinha geral 2.JPG

Y

ythan

Looks like your existing floor is pretty stable in the photos, and both areas are fairly small. Actually, I wouldn't use durabase or any other uncoupling layer - I think it'd be an unnecessary complication on your floor.....simplicity is always best where possible.

I think the most important thing will be the correct mixing and spreading of the adhesive with good notched trowel. I'd use BAL single part flexible and BAL wide joint flexible grout (or similar products). Important that the adhesive is worked well onto the existing dry screed, and is of sufficient depth to ensure a full flat bed is achieved under each tile. Use large tiles say 300*300 min. Take your time bedding down each tile, jiggling and thumping the tile with the side of your fist. Maye a good idea to lift the first couple of tiles to check a full flat bed is being achieved. Maybe also a good idea to just do the smallest one of the floors and see how that goes. If the tiles all seem good & solid after say 2/3 weeks - then do the other floor.

If the existing floor screed is not flat enough, you may need to put down a self levelling screed before tiling, but I'd avoid it if possible.

Another alternative would be to lay 22mm marine ply boards onto say 75 wide*30mm thick timber battens @ say 350 centers, leveled &solid bedded onto the existing screed. Then tile on top of that. I'd also lay a Visqeen 2000 polythene sheet (or similar) over the screed first, as it's so cheap, if there's any doubt about rising damp.

T

Tenazes

Thank you for all your help.

Simplicity is usually the best option!! Unfortunately sometimes when you don't have much knowledge on what you are doing and you are trying hard for things to be done correctly you tend to complicate and pay attention to many non important details. This is my case, I've started this adventure and many headaches later I've manage to install the piping and sewer, use lime on mortar mixture on ancient walls, etc...When I'm finished (on year 2050) I'll be able to build a house anywere... :lol:

I had already ordered Durabase matt, so it is too late ... but if I had your encouragement sooner I wouldn't have done it...
Anyway, this will only reduce the possibilities of things going wrong...

I cannot find BAL in Portugal (unfortunately because their range seems to be a very good one), but I'll use C2 class.

I'll post some photos of the works as soon as the matt arrives.

Thanks again... I'll sure have some more doubts soon

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can I restore this floor using Durabase CI matt ??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I discovered what appears to be luan underneath an old laminate backsplash. I can't remove the...
Replies
Views
Don't mind me while I try and get some discussion on this pendulum test value thing I've got...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
M
Hi there 1st time poster - long time lurker so be gentle! I'm in a bit of a quandary and would...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.