Discuss Can it be true..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Yeah like you say you cant turn down hundreds of houses as thats a good job lot and if everyones aware of any issues that could occur but still want to go down that road then what can you do? Nothing really. Although not ideal if floors are not solid , kind of the golden rule, could now with decouplers argue as long as floors solid pl and backerboards aint required anymore.

Is it the mat your glueing down then using addy for tiles and is this the method spec'd in the plans?

W

wetdec

After much thought ive taken the jump and am using dural membrne on monday for the first time. Was in buying it a couple of days ago from topps and was told, wait for it......That as long as the floor has no vertical movement in it be used instead of ply! So on top of chipboard goes down flexi addy then the membrane then tile on top so works out costing the same to tile floor with ply as to tiling with membrane. I still cant beleive it so like i said as long as theres no vertical movement and floor is bounce free ply is not required when using this and it also provides a waterproof element as well.:hurray:

Is this a dream???

Laying Durabase CI directly onto existing traditional floor boards or chip board is not best practice and its certainly not a substitute for ply

Traditional floor boards : If newly laid will expand and contract hugely at initial warm up and further during temperature changes within the home. Movement across the surface of a floor can be huge without mentioning curling which will create unsatisfactory conditions. Old floor boards do not move at the same rate as new but never the less move especially with new heating systems. These boards will generally already be curled so when laying a decoupling membrane you will have indifferent points of contact.

Weyroc / chipboard flooring
: Constitute board manufacturers use waxes during manufacture which creates a closed surface and during heating and cooling the waxes can release. Chip boards are also subject to curling creating an unsatisfactory surface.

You will also be hard pressed to get an adhesive company to admit any liability tiling onto weyroc.

What are you starting Doug,LOL

My ideal is going to be,
1. Ply floor no matter if there floor boards, chipboard etc everything but screed
2. Lay mat on all floors no matter of tile type using flexi addy (powdered flexible / 4mm mosaic trowel)
3. Lay tile onto Dural using flexi addy
4. Grout and done...

This is the correct way to tile a wooden or suspect floor using an uncoupling membrane.

When you overply a floor you are :

Strengthening the sub floor by increasing its thickness

Tieing together the boards below so you new floor becomes the subfloor

Creates a stable flat surface for tiling to bridging any curling

Reduces greatly the movement points ie joints between boards

Has a tileable surface

( All the above assumes screwing at 300mm centres or less to a sound subfloor)

Hi DavieA,

Your scenario is ideal, however, I think you may end up pricing yourself out of work due to over-specifing.

I use a decoupler for natural stone, regardless of substrate. For most ceramic and porcelain I just make sure that the floor is deflection free.

You need to asses each job and weigh up the possibility of lateral movement and, therefore, the use (or not) for a decoupling membrane.

IMO, there is no hard and fast rule for a decoupler, just common sense and risk assessment.

Hypertheticaly we can all use risk assesment and common sense but at the end of the day best practice is what covers you when you travertine gets torn...........

by installing backer boards onto ply only means that there is a more stable surface on which to tile...

the joists, ply/chip board, and backerboards on top, will/can still suffer from lateral movement,therefore, the decoupling membrane does a completely different role and protects the tile against lateral movement....

in short...

no matter how thick your joists and ply are, they can still suffer lateral (side to side) movement due to the joists lying on the inner skin of the brickwork of a wall...walls contract and expand continually throught the year, intial drying out process, ground movement and weather/temperature changes..

if you put backerboards onto ply, then this is not a substitute for a decoupling matt, its simply a more stable and compound surface in which to tile upon...

as mentioned in previous posts, deflection (up and down) movement, is a different movement than lateral (side to side) when you realise that, the decisions become more straightforward...

cheers
ed

This is not strictly true as structural movement would shift the whole plain which is effectively the same as vertical deflection, its reliant on mechanical movement. Lateral deflection / movement across a surface is the result of environmental factors generally from the heating and cooling process which cause expansion and contraction of materials, wood in this case.

Your point about cement boards is valid using cement boards can increase the points of potential fracture due to their size as opposed to ply. (unless you put them over a seperation membrane of course) Using them over ply is a waste of money

A few points to think on guys..........:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matthew77

How far South are you talking, because the sites I'm busy with at the moment ( M25 and South of ) are ALL chipboard with Dural, I've told several people of the dangers but that is the spec to which we have been told to work to, and this is off 3 major developers ( I won't mention names )

Am I happy doing it, knowing it might / will fail, no. But I get paid to do it ???

I've just been asked to quote for tiling work on a development using sterling board on the floors I asked whether the floors would be overboarded and was told to use a matting & adhesive as thats how its done now!? I've never heard of this but like you have said Alan its alot of work to lose. Are you using a glue for sticking the matting to the chipboard like you would for vinyl floor tiles or are you using a floor tile adhesive? The floors I'm quoting for are only a small area 2-4m² not that that makes much difference

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Can it be true..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been looking through the forum for a post which offers a similar situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Can it be true.....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.