Discuss Chipboard floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good afternoon

went to look at a job this morning. 4 upstairs bathrooms including a loft extension bathroom and all of the floors are the wonderful 22mm moisture resistant chipboard straight onto the joists. All the floors are solid so no deflection issues. It's been explained that it needs overboarding which he understands. My question is, is if I use hardie backer or an insulation board like marmox glued and screwed am I right in thinking that it's really only the screws holding the board down as the adhesive doesn't adhere to the chipboard or am I way off the mark.
Also what would you guys recommend using in this situation.

Thanks in advance

M

Mr Tiler

in a recent thread that was bumped from a couple of years ago a chap took the risk of tiling straight onto chipboard and it paid off for him so far... but my mother inlaws kitchen floor was straight onto chipboard about 3 years ago and now the tiles are popping up from the area around the washing machine is... don't know if the tiles were fixed correctly but I will when I come to re-do it

Good afternoon

went to look at a job this morning. 4 upstairs bathrooms including a loft extension bathroom and all of the floors are the wonderful 22mm moisture resistant chipboard straight onto the joists. All the floors are solid so no deflection issues. It's been explained that it needs overboarding which he understands. My question is, is if I use hardie backer or an insulation board like marmox glued and screwed am I right in thinking that it's really only the screws holding the board down as the adhesive doesn't adhere to the chipboard or am I way off the mark.
Also what would you guys recommend using in this situation.

Thanks in advance

The Glue or adhesive (dependent on board manufacture) is the main sorce of contact for the board. The screws will help but are also there to hold the board in place while the glue/adhesive set.
Prime the floor first as this will adhere to chipboard, then your glue/adhesive will adhere to your primer.
Hope this makes sence as i'm having a few beers repling to this, while the missis is out.:lol:

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
The Glue or adhesive (dependent on board manufacture) is the main sorce of contact for the board. The screws will help but are also there to hold the board in place while the glue/adhesive set.
Prime the floor first as this will adhere to chipboard, then your glue/adhesive will adhere to your primer.
Hope this makes sence as i'm having a few beers repling to this, while the missis is out.:lol:

A lot of adhesive company's don't recommend priming timber now!so always check with the adhesive manufacturer beforehand

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Thanks for your replies. Andy I was told not to use af200 on chipboard only on ply. I take it you've done this many times before. I'm thinking to be on the safe side I would still over board then ditra. What's your thoughts on this.

As you I would always overboard!cement board is always the best substraight to tile on to. If it's not recommended then I wouldn't use it!
I always make the phone call if I'm unsure?
Hope that helps?
Cheers Andy

Reply to Chipboard floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Quick question, when installing 6mm backer board onto a floor prior to tiling, would...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB