Discuss Chipboard floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Cheers Andy. I've spoken schulter and they said you can ditra over hardie backer. Can I just you all this question for my piece of mind. I mentioned to the customer about putting ditra over the backer board to assist with the movement of the floor as it's a new build and the substrate is chipboard. This option was questioned straight away by the customer who just so happens to be a builder. Am I right in thinking that this would be the best course of action in this scenario or am I being to cautious. I'd rather be cautious then not. There may be an issue with height as the first plumbing fixing has already been done.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rj1884

Hello all.

i know this is an old thread I started a while back but I went to see a job. New build with 22mm chipboard in 2 upstairs bathroom floors. Both floors are having marble tiles fixed, not massive areas. I'm planning to overboard the floors. It's been previously mentioned that to then put ditra on top of the hardie is unnecessary when using porcelain tiles. As marble tiles are being used in this situation would people recommend putting ditra down as well to be on the safe side.

many thanks

I

Ian

Hello all.

i know this is an old thread I started a while back but I went to see a job. New build with 22mm chipboard in 2 upstairs bathroom floors. Both floors are having marble tiles fixed, not massive areas. I'm planning to overboard the floors. It's been previously mentioned that to then put ditra on top of the hardie is unnecessary when using porcelain tiles. As marble tiles are being used in this situation would people recommend putting ditra down as well to be on the safe side.

many thanks

Any UFH?

Q

Qwerty

I would use Ditra if fixing stone tiles but don't think its necessary for porcelain. I've never primed ply prior to tiling and never had a problem, adhesive always sticks like muck to a shovel.

How do you deal with the issue of expansion/ contraction of the ply? And how can you guarantee your work when adhesive manufacturers state that the ply must be primed? Do you use a SPF adhesive for tiling to ply or a two part?

beanz

TF
Berkshire
How do you deal with the issue of expansion/ contraction of the ply? And how can you guarantee your work when adhesive manufacturers state that the ply must be primed? Do you use a SPF adhesive for tiling to ply or a two part?

Is this a new thing!?! Adhesive manufacturers used to say NOT to prime the face, only sides and back of ply.
As for guaranteeing his work. He doesn't have to follow anyone's instructions, he just has to be willing to put it right at his own expense, if it fails.

Q

Qwerty

No, Beanz, I never said it was a new thing.
Not all manufacturers state ply must be primed, but alot do now. No come back if the individual manufacturers guidelines are not followed.
I personally prefer to fix tiles with the intention of them staying down and not having return to fix failures, but each to their own.

Hello all.

many thanks

But to keep this on topic.........before we can answer this question, Bri correctly asked if UFH was being fitted. I would personally Ditra either way. How solid are the floors? Ditra can be laid directly to exterior grade chipboard so long as it is free from deflection and securely fixed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Chipboard floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Quick question, when installing 6mm backer board onto a floor prior to tiling, would...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB