Guest viewing is limited

Discuss concrete setting times? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RockCeramics

Could do with some info if possible relating to concreting.
A contractor is reinstating a concrete slab infill of 40m long and a depth of 350mm before a screed bed for tiling.
they are insisting that the screed bed will be fixed in 24hrs after concreting??
Now i assumed that the concrete would need to set before tiling, 1 day per inch is this correct, or are we looking at a longer period (3 weeks?)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If I understand this correctly they are laying 350mm of concrete then leaving it to set overnight before screeding. Assuming it is a 65mm (or thereabouts - Minimum 50mm) screed then what they are doing is ok provided there is a reasonably good key to the concrete surface and it is hard enough to take the traffic to lay the screed. The cement in the surface of the concrete will still be relatively reactive at that stage and so will promote an excellent bond with the screed. It will also still be relatively wete so will not pull the water out of the screed too quickly to prevent a bond failure.The one draw back with what they are proposing is the drying time as the screed going over the top of the concrete will impede the concrete drying and they will have to wait quite a long time for the whole system to dry.

The other thing to make sure of is that there are joints in the concrete reflected through the screed. At 40m long I would recomend at least 5 joints at around 8m spacings.

Last edited:

Reply to concrete setting times? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
W
Hi, got a job coming up next week of tiling on a rapid set concrete floor with a pipe based...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
M
hi all I’m hoping for some technical advice on screeds and commissioning wet underfloor...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
T
Hi everyone, I have seen this question has been asked before on here but I want to get a...
Replies
Views
Mikeyy
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
concrete setting times?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.