Discuss concrete sub-floor with ply strip running across..............decoupling membrane? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

aflemi

TF
Arms
Doing 3 rooms in apartment block, all have carpet on lino tiles on bitumen on concrete.
Planned to remove as much bitumen as poss using heat gun + scraper, sugar soap clean then slurry coat 50/50 SBR/rapidset flex (mapei/tile giant proflexible).
Problem is 2 rooms have a 180mm strip of ply which is well screwed down, no flex separating concrete. This obviously runs across the whole apartment.
In 4m x 2m kitchen the strip runs across the 2m width about the middle.
In one bathroom it's about 70mm into room.
Laying full bodied porcelain tiles no ufh. Do I need decoupling membrane or would keraquick with latexplus do the job??

aflemi

TF
Arms
Re: concrete sub-floor with ply strip running across..............decoupling membrane

The only thing I can think of with the ply it has pipes running underneath for access
Correct mate, on further investigation 25mm ply covering pipe channel in concrete. So on the upside it's the same slab of concrete but how will heat from pipes affect things assuming happy with deflection factor..........?

R

Rich

Re: concrete sub-floor with ply strip running across..............decoupling membrane

Really you should have expansion joint in the tiles at every joint between ply and the screed even if it is deflection free but of course that would look awful. Hmmm... Have you had the ply up? Any chance of filling the channels in? It wouldn't be ideal but I would feel better tiling over a channel that had been filled in rather than a hollow channel covered in ply.

Reply to concrete sub-floor with ply strip running across..............decoupling membrane? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, First time posting on a forum but cant seem to find any advice that is matching my...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Any advice gratefully received on tiling a concrete screed that is according to the builder not...
Replies
Views
TJ Smiler
T
M
Hi I am laying 14 sqm of 12-15mm sandstone tiles onto a concrete 1930's floor. DPM is unknown -...
Replies
Views
matty
M
E
Hi, this is my first post here, hopefully of many. I have been doing most of my own DIY on my...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

aflemi

Arms
TF
Thread Information

Title
concrete sub-floor with ply strip running across..............decoupling membrane?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.