UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Concrete where I did not expect it ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
if its a block of flats with diferent properties on each level than it is definetly concrete in there somewhere. it has to be there for the fire regs.
that doesnt mean it hasnt ply and SLC on top.
i would hit it with a hamer and see what happens. if it is reallly hard and sounds solid it is probably only concrete. if it is soft and dead sounding then its built up some way

No it doesn't....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yes it does. over here anyway. and all our regs are copies of yours.
all party devisions between residencies has to be fire rated. be it a party wall in a row of houses (block on the flat) or a block of flats(pre cast fllor sections or block and beam

You don't do timber frame over there then I guess. These are generally fire proofed using fire check plasterboard on the underside of the joists. There also a large number of steel frame blocks over here especially returns e.g. Old cotton mills and the like. Also there are several modular buildings which use timber separating floors again with fire check board. Blocks of flats are by no means always built using concrete.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
to be honest iv never seen a timber frame block of flats. steel yes but thats more comercial situations.
i just went and checked my copy of our building regs.
you are right. only 30min reguired.
the concrete only applies to flats over a comercial space.

Yes. The concrete over commercial spaces is to do with disproportionate collapse detailed in part a as timber cannot generally span the widths you come across. technically you could use timber but you would have to install fully supported intermediate supports e.g. load bearing pillars. the cost would be too high and the spaces below would look rubbish with pillars every five linear meters. part e will also have a bearing. What is interesting though is that it is perfectly acceptable to build timber frame flats over commercial properties once you get past he first floor of flats. I have seen a few mixed system developments

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
i know of one case here a few years ago of a man that built a shop (convienince store) and 2 flats over it . he did something wrong with the floors and had to take them out and put in beam and block so that the fire officer would sign off on it.

Seen quite a few refurbs where similar has happened. Never had a discussion on site with a fire officer but have had many a stand up "debate"with the building inspectorate...

Reply to Concrete where I did not expect it ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hiya, I am in the process of preparing a concrete floor in my mum's house for tiling, and have...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.