Discuss Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rolandk

Hi,
just been checking on adhesives and a bit confused!
I have a concrete substrate (coarse and lumpy and the more I sweep it the more loose material it releases!) Also need to tile over a small amout of green chipboard. Electric UFH going in too. Plan is to SBR prime the concrete then board over the concrete and chipboard with 6mm Marmox boards. What is the best adhesive to use to stick the boards down to the 2 different substrates? I was going to screw down to the chipboard as well. Then the correct adhesive for porcelain (300mm x 600mm) tiles onto the Marmox? Total area around 30 sq m.

Was going to get Mapei products?

Thanks,
Roland

R

Rich

Mapei are very good. If you go with Mapei, I would use their primer/grout/silicone as well. Wher the concrete joins the chipboard, you will need to leave an expansion joint in the boards and in the tiles.

You will need a single part rapid adhesive, do you have a Tile Giant near you? If so pop in there and they will give you the right adhesive.

When you come to the chipboard, you must make sure that it is fixed down properly, if there is and bounce in the boards this must be sorted out before you over board. Then the cement boards need to be stuck down and screwed down into the chipboard.

R

Rolandk

Thanks for the info Rich,

Although the total area is quite large it's made up of a number of smaller areas but I'll bear in mind the 5m limit for expansion joints, should be easy enough to put them at doorway thresholds. Out of the Mapei range which particular primer and adhesive would you recommend. Good idea to get their grout and silicone as well as the colours will match better I guess.

Cheers

D

Daz

Are you planning to tile directly over the 'lectric UFH or will you be applying a self leveller?
My recommendation would be to slc as this will encase the wires and eliminate any potential hotspots. It will, also, provide a nice smooth tile surface and make the floor more rigid so worthy of consideration.

With regards to cost, if you use cheap now it is likely that you will not be pleased with the results and you run a massive risk of longer term failure. Why should the fixing costs be any less than the cost of tiles, I'm confused?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rolandk

Hi Daz,
thanks for the advice. I am undecided as to whether to use SLC. I am already adding more height to the floor than I wanted to as it needs to meet up with other floors and I expect the height difference to be around 20mm as it is. I just figured SLC plus the addy would add another 3-5mm? Mind you I hear what you are saying and I might go for the SLC after all.
I don't want to skimp on materials and do intend to use the Mapei stuff and Marmox boards, I was just surprised that all this will come to more than the tiles!! I'm sure a lot of people don't realise this when they get quotes for work and think it's mainly labour.
You only get what you pay for!

Cheers,
Roland

R

Rolandk

Hi all,

just when I thought it was all sorted the other half says she's not keen on any expansion joints and wants a 'continuous' look!

Told her we have to have expansion gap where transition from concrete to timber substrates. As far as the rest is concerned the longest continuous length of tile over the concrete will be 8 metres. This passes thru 2 doorways where she doesn't want the expansion joints. Am I pushing my luck at 8 meters with no expansion joints and UFH on Marmox?

Thanks,
Roland

Reply to Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks