Discuss Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rolandk

Thanks for all the info,
Based upon the advice here my plan is......

1. Sweep and Mapeii primer G the concrete substrate (and the green chipboard?)
2. Marmox 6mm boards stuck down with Mapei Keraflex and additionally screwed down over chipboard. Expansion gaps in doorways and where substrate changes and perimeter.
3. Thermal primer on marmox.
4. Electric UFH
5. SLC to encase UFH wires.
6. 300mm x 150mm Porcelain tiles with 3mm grout gap and 5mm Mapei silicone expansion gaps. Tile stuck down with Keraflex.
7. Mapei ultra color grout.

Did I miss anything and what size notch adhesive trowel would you advise, 10mm?

Thanks again,
Roland

R

Rich

That all sounds pretty good, the only thing Im not sure about is the thermal primer on the boards, I havnt come across this stuff so I will let some1 else advice on that.

With regards the price, it will depend on where you go. Needless to say that I use my trade account when buying in materials and prices change from place to place, is this from Tile Giant? Bare in mind that this is the stuff that is going to make sure that your floor stays where you want it for countless years to come, it may seem like a lot of money but it would cost a lot more to tile it and then have to redo it in 6 months time.

Might not hurt to ask them if they can knock anything off the bill, might not be able to but I dont see how it can do any harm.

R

Rolandk

I got the prices from TileExperience not Tile Giant as the price of the Marmox was good there. I agree the stuff I use must be good. Sure I could economise a bit but probably wouldn't save that much and the job wouldn't be so good I know. I looked at Granfix but it's not that much cheaper than Mapei. The thermal primer I bought a while back with the UFH as I intended to us it instead of the Marmox. Spoke to UFH supplier who said Marmox would be better but use the thermal primer too as I already had it and 6mm Marmox was a bit borderline anyway.
Do the quantities look about right?

Cheer,
Roland

R

Rolandk

It's a good point Rich about the wastage as it's expensive enough to start with! Also going to be spending a load of time constantly cleaning mixing bucket and tools! I wonder if I use the Keraquick on the areas I need to be walkable sooner and switch to Keraflex for the rest. In any case I'm coming round to the idea of getting the pro's in to do this job anyway mainly due to health issues (mine not theirs!). I might put the marmox down and the UFH (which is the wire type, not matting due to irregular shape of area) cover it with such as bubble wrap and hardboard and get someone in to do the slc and tiling. Although I'd understand if they wanted to do the whole job so they were happy to guarantee it,
Cheers,
Roland

R

Rich

To be honest, if I was called to look at the job, I would want to lay the boards and the under floor heating myself. I get it a lot where builders do this part of a job as they think that it would save them some money but from my (tilers) point of view, it can make a simple job sooo much more work if the UFH/Boards are not put down well. Not saying that you wouldnt do it properly you understand but I always like to do this stage myself.

If I were you I would send a private message to Dave (admin) and ask him to put you in contact with a good tiler in your area, get a quote and then you know where you stand. Say to the tiler that you are happy to lay the ufh/boards and see what he says. If the quote is to high than you can have a go at the job yourself or you never know, you could be pleasantly suprised.

R

Rolandk

Hi Rich,
yeah I can fully understand that the tiler would want to do the whole job. Same here, I hate having to finish off something someone else started in my line of work. I think I could do an OK job as I'm used to some pretty heavyweight DIY but the knees are giving out so tiling probably not a good idea! I've got the tiles already but would save me the trouble of getting all the other stuff too. Already had an offer from Dave to put me in touch with someone if needed. Seriously considering it.....
Thanks again, Roland

Reply to Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.