Discuss Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rolandk

Hi again,
just been thinking (never a good idea!) and following advice from the guys here I'm going for the minimum advisable 3mm grout gap in 300mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. Firstly would one 3mm silicone expansion joint be enough in the 8M run? Secondly I was intending to lay the rectangular tiles in the traditional brick like patern so would need to cut across them in the doorway spoiling the look or have a 'staggered' expansion gap.The other idea was to lay them lined up like square tiles but not sure what that would look like?
What you reckon?

Cheers,
Roland

D

Daz

Roland,

Regardless of aesthetics, you will need to place an expansion joint directly above where the 2 differing substrates meet. Chipboard has very different thermal expansion characteristics to concrete and the tiles will, undoubtedly, crack along that plane unless you place an expansion gap there. Depending on the overall room layout, you may get away with just a perimeter joint around the outside of the room in addition to the substrate expansion gap.

Daz

D

Daz

Thanks Tats,

I am going thru 2 doorways so can put a 5mm gap in each one giving me a max run of 4m. Any idea on how it would look if I laid the tiles same as you would square tiles so could try to get joints at door ways. Never seen long tiles laid this way so would it look odd?

Cheers,
Roland

It looks okay with marble but I'd probably do it brickbond, if I was you.

daz-albums-some-may-s-jobs-picture13199-15052009-022.jpg

Note the pre-formed expansion joint in this pic....
daz-albums-some-may-s-jobs-picture13276-30052009-006.jpg

Daz

D

Daz

Hi Roland,

Again, without a floor plan I can't be 100% with this but it would make sense to leave a gap around the perimeter of the room and also incorporate an expansion joint in the doorways too.

This is by no means a recommendation, but for your info, I have done many domestic floors that are in excess of 50sqm with UFH working with just an expansion gap around the perimeter. These floors have all been top grade porcelain and I have experienced no issues whatsoever.

R

Rolandk

Thanks again,
I'm going with your recommendation and putting a grout gap in each doorway including the one where the substrate goes from concrete to the chipboard. I do like the look of the marble pic you sent and might do my porcelain like that.
Thanks to you and the others for your advice and didn't realise there was so much to it! In fact I might consider getting a quote or two from professionals but if I do do it myself I'm better equipped to turn out a decent job.

Cheers,
Roland

R

Rich

Sorry, I missed the end of this thread as I have been busy and not able to get on here, work really gets in the way of tilers forum sometimes!

All good advice above, I think you meant to say silicone joint in the doorways rather than grout?

If you do want to get quotes from tilers then send a private message to the admin of this site (DAVE) and he should be able to put you in contact with a recommended pro from this site in your area. That way you know your getting a good tiler. Either way, how about taking some pics when its done and letting us have a look at it?

all the best with the project :thumbsup:

R

Rolandk

Rich,
if you missed the thread due to being too busy that can only be a good thing! Yeah all good advice but now Daz has made me think I might get away with a perimiter expansion gap only?

Thanks for your help and I wil definately try to find a tiler near me (Andover) thru the forum here if I go down that route as all the guys are obviously pro's and take pride in what they're doing. It's also noticeable that you guys respect each others views unlike some forums I've been on where the guys seem to use it to slag each other off!!!

Cheers

Roland

Reply to Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Correct adhesive for backer boards and porcelain
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.