Discuss day by day photos of bathroom refurb in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

hello all, just thought some of you might be interested to see a day by day photo diary of a bathroom i'm doing over the weekend (hopefully finish on monday). i'm doing the ewpar with max at able skills at the moment, and as a way of him seeing some up to date jobs i've set up a free website that i can put photos and a few words on for him to look at. no tiles up yet as a lot of prep work was needed, but i'm putting pics up from yesterday morning when i first started. any comments and advice are welcome :thumbsup:
anyway, here's the link to the site
photo diary of bathroom in ashford started today 11 march 2001 - Home
there's going to be a lot of pictures up by monday, so i thought rather than fill the servers here up with them, i'd put them off site. doing a porcelaine floor next, so may do one for that too. cheers.

john

D

DHTiling

I just found something wrong..?

this mould spore was growing on one of the pics.. PIC 7

index.html
photo diary of bathroom in ashford started today 11 march 2001 - Home

J

johnryan

I personally wouldn't have put full tile onto bath top because of small cut under window.
i agree, i wouldn't normally have a cut that small under the window, but the owner has asked for me to keep to certain specs, and a full tile around the bath is one of them. also, it will leave me with almost full tile at the top and bottom of the wall. i showed her several options, and that was how she went. i think it'll still look good though, and when the sill and reveals are done, i don't think it'll be too much of an issue. hope to have a lot more tiles on the wall tomorrow, so we'll see i guess. thanks for the input though. it's always good to hear from other tilers what they think.

J

johnryan

What materials are you using John?
sbr on to finish plaster, then ceramics. the borders are natural stone mosaics, with bal white star around the bath area, though i'll be using green star around the rest of the room. removed a skim of unsound plaster and paint first, leaving me with a good solid plaster substrate to tile to. total weight of tiles and adhesive is 16 kilos, so will be fine. will get a good sealant on the mosaics before grouting too.

J

johnryan

just updated with todays photos. got all the tiles up except for the window sill and reveals, but will do them thursday when i go to grout. taking longer than i thought for this job, the old suite came out last thursday. i'm going to the stone show tomorrow, so thursday for grout and sills etc, then back on the weekend for silicone and grout the sill and reveals. 6.5 days for me, and 2.5 for the plumber. thought i'd only be there for 4 days. did a lot of extra work i wouldn't normally do though, so not too worried about it.

J

johnryan

well, at the stone show yesterday, and when i went in this morning i found the plumber hasn't managed to get back, and wont be back till monday, so can't do more till he's been back. off to another job tomorrow, but will post this jobs final photos on monday ( as long as the plumber gets back that is.) still i got to celebrate st patricks day down the pub this afternoon, which kind of made up for a lost day:thumbsup:. then got an earful off the missus when i got home which didn't.:thumbsdown:

J

johnryan

well, finally got back in there today, as the plumber got his stuff done, and got finished up. tiled the reveals and the panel behind the pan, grouted, cleaned up and silicone on too. came out quite well, apart from the delay, but i got another job done in between and the owner wasn't bothered so no big deal. tiles were a bit dodgy though. b & q multisize/multishade specials. i wish people would get them from somewhere else.

B

Barry bp

Shame the pipes where not chased in wall between vanity unit and bath dont look good to me the rad pipes would have been better straight into valves then you can use chrome sleve now they have 90 degree angle can not do tiling good you have put pics up so i am only giving my thoughts I must say I only fit mid to high end bathrooms but I do gurantee customer they will be fitted as perfect as pos no pipes etc.Also you need to earth that rad as it has been fed in copper who is doing the electrics?

J

johnryan

Shame the pipes where not chased in wall between vanity unit and bath dont look good to me the rad pipes would have been better straight into valves then you can use chrome sleve now they have 90 degree angle can not do tiling good you have put pics up so i am only giving my thoughts I must say I only fit mid to high end bathrooms but I do gurantee customer they will be fitted as perfect as pos no pipes etc.Also you need to earth that rad as it has been fed in copper who is doing the electrics?
yeah, i'd agree with you about the pipes by the vanity unit, but i didn't really have a say in that. the owner is having a chippy come in to do a few bits, and they'll be boxed in. the rad pipes, again weren't anything i had any control over, as i never touch plumbing or electrics, and go with what the plumber says. this was done on a very tight budget, so can't really expect perfection. don't know anything about the earth, but will speak to the plumber in the am about that. he got the electrician in, so i suppose they'll sort that out. what was it that's wrong with the tiling though? not sure where you mean about that. any constructive criticism about the tiling is welcomed, but need to be a bit more specific.

Reply to day by day photos of bathroom refurb in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB