Discuss Day work meterage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I'm going to ask again in this thread ?
£40 m2 ,ok no probs , if your knocking out 45m2 a week , easy work for some of you boys , that's 72 grand a year ,that's working teacher weeks (12 weeks hols) so even working normal tradesman weeks, 4 weeks hols and a odd day here and there, still gonna be 72 grand a year.is that not 40% tax ?
And none of this , "we may not have work some weeks"
I've employed 2 lads for over tens years , never been short of work , so if your good your never out of work (hardly)
@timeless john am I getting back to myself yet :)

T

Time's Ran Out

An average isn't on 40 mts per day or 200 mts for a 5 day week. It's on how much you want to earn or how much your getting paid on daily basis. So if your getting £1000 per 5 day week your on £200 per day and @ £20/mt you need to be doing 10 mts a day to justify your wage.
5sq mts in a splashback is a day's work so you'd need to be on £40 a mt to equal that daily rate.
There is no average meterage just average wages, and to that end making sure you earn your wage and a bit of profit for the company.

J

Joseph Kover

Oh boi :)
In England this question make not much sense unfortunately.
Two options really, you either drop the quality for the sake of progress or you not working as pay for progress. Sorry, but both doesn't work. You can pull off acceptable quality and double your progress but in my opinion it doesn't worth on the long run. The longer you have to do you get used to not aim for better quality work. Also you won't be able to raise price and get better money end of the day. In the last 5 years in London people rather pay littlebit more for quality work and avoid cheap job. Which is great result and its really a progress in construction buisiness which kick out the cowboy category finally

On the side note
If you do a 25msq bathroom for private customers, they not necessarily appreciate the fact as you done in a day as they question that you not rush their home and do bad job and get out quickly.
On the construction site they like to pay daily rate and squeeze out msq and do not care how you pull it off

Question to the progressive folks here:
How you do preparation including if you do a 20msq bathroom in a day?
Fixing wall, fixing floor, waterproofing etc?
3cm off walls, big curve etc, raising floor grout same day? No way.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Joseph Kover

This is exactly why I asked question .I have been tiling 20 years and think I am quite good at tiling .if I ask for 35 to 40 pounds a metre to supply adhesive and grout and tile .customers are usually fine until they see how quick I can tile .then it breaks their hearts .but am I not allowed to be good at my job .with years of learning best ways and methods .
I don't know mate, It depends what you re working on, and what quality you represent. I don't think you can really calculate average for all cases.
I can do 30msq floor no problem but won't rush to finish a day. I rather still would do in 2 or even 3, I am still at my money.taking time on prep well worth it. I am responsible guy, and want to sleep well, no tiles falling on anyone head while sitting in the bath :)

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
I do work alot of tilers won't touch or can do .I find asking what each customer wants and can afford is best way to approach each job .
I see in ur profile pic u have a original style floor I'd love to do one of them but I've never had the chance and also I would need a mentor to teach me before I attempted to take one on on alone

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
There is so many variable answers that I could answer this vague question with. tiling with 6x6 white is going to be faster than tiling with 600x600 porcelain But that is pending what your tiling. for example tiling a 3 metre kitchen splashback with 8 sockets and metal trim is going to take far longer than tiling a square room minimum cuts with 600's.

As far as I can see from what I have read. If I quote a customer a fixed price, that is it set in stone. usually with my estimates I am not far off of my timescales, i.e if I say two days, it is two days, so on and so forth. I very rarely get arguments over price(s) after starting a job but if I do I remind them that we agreed a set quote. If said two day job had taken four days I would still charge them the same price, as that is what we had agreed. The only exception to that rule is if they add on other work, more tiling, plastering, plumbing etc.

ultimately sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong but the pendulum swings both ways. I have seen myself on "simple" jobs that have turned into living nightmares and in the same instances I have seen myself start "nightmares" that have ended up into fairy tale besting jobs ever.

Tiling is like a box of chocolates..... haha

J

Just Rizzle

sent my son on a job was piecing together a mosaic of a peacock by the jordanian mosaic company
i asked him how he got on he said done about 6 inches in 8 hours graft
i said as much as that the previous day i had a go did only 4 inches
the tools we were using were eyebrow tweezers we were stitchin the feathers of the peacock and some of the tiles were 1mm by 10mm allinall we were on the job for over 4 weeks on a day rate of 10 mtres of tiling a day
payed up with out a bat of any eye

Reply to Day work meterage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB