Discuss Day work meterage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I've never worked comercial I've always thought of it as a completely different job to domestic stuff biggest floor I've ever done was 100M 600 x 600 took me 10 days on my own which feels pretty embarrassing if bad boy stef is knocking out 40 a day lol
I'd say that sounds about right Kyle for a professional finish.......40m2 per day, never heard of that one in 18 yrs unless a 2 man job then yes possibly .....

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
No offence MW, but if you are turning out 5m2 day in day out you want to give up and stack shelves ;)
Like has been said, probably about 2million 500 hundred of 50 bloody times
"5METRE SQUARE IS FINE NOW AND AGAIN, BUT 5M SQAURE ,DAY IN DAY OUT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, IT IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE , ITS LIKE A JOINER HANGING ONE DOOR, A PLUMBER HANGING ONE RAD, A PLASTERER STICKING ON ONE BOARD, A BRICKY LAYING 3 BRICK OR A ELECTRICIAN SWEEPING UP, OK the last ain't ever gonna happen, ITS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE :mad::mad::mad::mad:

M

MW Smith Ceramics

:laughing::laughing::grin:
No offence MW, but if you are turning out 5m2 day in day out you want to give up and stack shelves ;)
"5METRE SQUARE IS FINE NOW AND AGAIN, BUT 5M SQAURE ,DAY IN DAY OUT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, IT IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE , ITS LIKE A JOINER HANGING ONE DOOR, A PLUMBER HANGING ONE RAD, A PLASTERER STICKING ON ONE BOARD, A BRICKY LAYING 3 BRICK OR A ELECTRICIAN SWEEPING UP, OK the last ain't ever gonna happen, ITS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Crikey widler !......calm down!.....my post was meant as how many metres a day ( not 5 metres a day ) depends on the state of the walls or floors your tiling on.....my mistake there no need to bite my head off !!!......and yes I agree if any tiler is knocking out 5 metres per day then a career change would be about the only option......& by the way I voted no it's not enough........hope you,ve calmed down now any way :laughing:

T

Tile Shop

Outsiders point of view/opinion, incoming. It may upset a few people. But I don't really care. what are you gonna do? hunt me down? Its just that seeing other peoples arrogance towards the OP has seriously wound me up a bit. Especially as this is a trade i'm wanting to go into. If its a job thats going to turn me into as much of an arsehole as some of these posters, I'd rather not bother. Give the guy a break.

I don't think its down to one tiler to decide what is acceptable to another. Each to their own. What works for you? What are you charging the customer, per day or per metre? whats your level of experience? what training did you have?

All irrelevant....... one question dictates it all..... can you do a job that a customer is happy with and is willing to pay your rates?

Is the customer aware that you will be slower than the next guy, but only because you take the extra time to make sure its spot on and 100% perfect?

I now await the barrage of people saying "I can do 40 a day and still get it perfect".....

You can have my reply before you even say it.... "really??? Thats amazing. You have won your prestigious bragging rights. Your boast has been heard loud and clear. Hope you're happy that you've made other people feel completely inadequate. Your willy is obviously bigger than everyone else's and maybe thats why you have to wear your red underpants on the outside of your trousers. Maybe you should be the only tiler on the planet cuz you're the only one capable of doing it. Get on with your own job and leave others to do theirs."

Its not a competition. Its not a race. The customer has to live with it for a long time. they would rather it be right than rushed. As long as you are honest with the customer about how you work, its for no-one else to judge.

I'm practising to become a tiler. To start with I'm going to be slow. If I was to go on my first job and only do 5m2, would you still tell me I should be stacking shelves? or would you give me the benefit of the doubt because all I wanna do is get it right and get paid?

T

Time's Ran Out

Paul - this is a forum - everyone can and should be able to express an opinion, dignified or not.
You will never agree with everyone and you should take whatever information you want and a pinch of the preverbial with the rest.
You are not a professional tiler and as such you would receive the courtesy and help to achieve a standard of finish that you would be happy with.
However a professional tiler asking if 5 sq mts a day is acceptable will allow a difference of opinions as so noted.
Even as an apprentice I wasn't given any respect from any trade until a standard or quantity off work was achieved and I'd never 'practice' on any job as a professional.

I

Italy

Paul - this is a forum - everyone can and should be able to express an opinion, dignified or not.
You will never agree with everyone and you should take whatever information you want and a pinch of the preverbial with the rest.
You are not a professional tiler and as such you would receive the courtesy and help to achieve a standard of finish that you would be happy with.
However a professional tiler asking if 5 sq mts a day is acceptable will allow a difference of opinions as so noted.
Even as an apprentice I wasn't given any respect from any trade until a standard or quantity off work was achieved and I'd never 'practice' on any job as a professional.
abemus pope ;) ahah

T

Tile Shop

Your right, I'm not a pro. But again, surely it depends on the job? straightforward or not straight forward? big tiles or small tiles?

We had a local guy, 75 at the time. the only reason he stopped working, he died of a heart attack (at 77). We put him in the direction of a kitchen round the corner from him (can't remember the exact meterage but it was a galley of only around 8-10 sqm in 60x30's, brick bond). He was on it for the week. The old tiles were already lifted and old adhesive gone, but still needed levelling. What he charged, I don't know. But that same customer asked him to stay to do the bathroom, lounge/diner hallway because his work was so good. after clearing his almost full diary about 3 months later, he went back to their house for about 6 weeks in total but couldn't have been any more 80-90 metres in total. 2.5 to 3 metres per day........ this time round it did include all the prep apart from the bathroom which was gutted for him.

Point is, his diary was full and he was having to turn work down. Slow? Yes, but he was well respected and he was wanted because of his workmanship.

No lets take a look at the next tiler. We had another guy local to us that sometimes did some display work. We had a new trade counter just opened and asked him if he could do a night shift to get the floor down. 50sqm. He had it levelled, tiled and grouted in 8 hours. After he went, we ripped it up before anyone saw it.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
This threads gone way off track...
I've employed many a subcontract tiler when i was running the building sites and never have I paid them day work, they would spend all day drinking coffee and scratching there balls, always had them on a price per m2....
If your doing private work then who cares how many meters you do a day, not many customers would pay a day rate anyway, most want a fixed price so it's to your advantage to bang the meters out cause your make more money.
But for basic ceramics if your doing less than 5m a day then your not going to make much money or be very competitive , if your willing to take the hit cause your slow .....then no problem, long as your happy.....:)

M

MTiler

Not acceptable for who?

J

Joseph Kover

It's not acceptable to 'widler' and it's not acceptable for most tiling companies who are paying all the overheads associated with employing a tiler. Remember we are talking prepared substrates with standard ceramic tiles for the average 5sqmts.
It may well be acceptable to a self employed tiler on £40/sq mt .
Absolutely agree, but then again, you can price for entire job and msq no longer a question. Even the prepared surfaces questionable factor really. I mean it did happen to see OK concrete rarely, but as for walls just forget about it to find one.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Not acceptable for who?
For ANY employer sharon , would you be happy if you were mosaicing a straight flat 50m2 wall or floor and he/she who was working for you took ten days just for that ?
And none of this ' if he was making a good job' because thats no way to run a firm.
Like i said above , 5m2 IS acceptable now and again, but day in day out week in week out he/she would be sacked

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
:laughing::laughing::grin:

Crikey widler !......calm down!.....my post was meant as how many metres a day ( not 5 metres a day ) depends on the state of the walls or floors your tiling on.....my mistake there no need to bite my head off !!!......and yes I agree if any tiler is knocking out 5 metres per day then a career change would be about the only option......& by the way I voted no it's not enough........hope you,ve calmed down now any way :laughing:
Calm as a cucumber, im just like saying how life really is ;)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Outsiders point of view/opinion, incoming. It may upset a few people. But I don't really care. what are you gonna do? hunt me down? Its just that seeing other peoples arrogance towards the OP has seriously wound me up a bit. Especially as this is a trade i'm wanting to go into. If its a job thats going to turn me into as much of an arsehole as some of these posters, I'd rather not bother. Give the guy a break.

I don't think its down to one tiler to decide what is acceptable to another. Each to their own. What works for you? What are you charging the customer, per day or per metre? whats your level of experience? what training did you have?

All irrelevant....... one question dictates it all..... can you do a job that a customer is happy with and is willing to pay your rates?

Is the customer aware that you will be slower than the next guy, but only because you take the extra time to make sure its spot on and 100% perfect?

I now await the barrage of people saying "I can do 40 a day and still get it perfect".....

You can have my reply before you even say it.... "really??? Thats amazing. You have won your prestigious bragging rights. Your boast has been heard loud and clear. Hope you're happy that you've made other people feel completely inadequate. Your willy is obviously bigger than everyone else's and maybe thats why you have to wear your red underpants on the outside of your trousers. Maybe you should be the only tiler on the planet cuz you're the only one capable of doing it. Get on with your own job and leave others to do theirs."

Its not a competition. Its not a race. The customer has to live with it for a long time. they would rather it be right than rushed. As long as you are honest with the customer about how you work, its for no-one else to judge.

I'm practising to become a tiler. To start with I'm going to be slow. If I was to go on my first job and only do 5m2, would you still tell me I should be stacking shelves? or would you give me the benefit of the doubt because all I wanna do is get it right and get paid?
Again, 5m2 is acceptable now and again , day in day out , no its not .
if you can't turn out 5m2 most days you may as well stack shelves.
And call me a arsehole again i will find you and shove my tongue down your neck ;)

Reply to Day work meterage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB