UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Decoupler and anhydrite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

we are about to tile 2 floors, this friday/saturday, both anhydrite, both wet areas, both wet ufh, been reading up on spec adhesives to use as we have never tiled over this screed before but is it worth me using the proper addy as the floor was just pumped in on friday 5th August??:thumbsdown: i know all about the drying times etc, we have voiced our concerns to the boss & told him we are not being held responsible when the floor lifts but he is adamant its to get tiled this week!!!!!!!!

I

Ian

I'm just about to start the floor that I started this thread about and it was laid on 22nd April, the UFH is currently being comissioned and the screed is still showing signs of moisture, (not much though) and just out of interest I stuck an offcut of tile to it with flexy cement based adhesive and it didn't take much to prise it off the next day. There is no way on earth that your floor will be ready in 10 days!!!!!!!

S

Stef

Bri i know that m8, the screed was 70mm thick thats why i asked if it was worth using a gypsum based addy or just stick it with a rapidset flex as its gonna lift anyhow. the guy we work for can be a nightmare at times, he wants the house sold then worry about things after hes got the pennies in the bank.

Just out of interest i was reading the weber book & it states in it that you can use a cement based addy on a sealed anhydrite screed. This would be ok for us if it was 63 days down the line!!!!:incazzato:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Robson. If you use cement it WILL fail. If you use gypsum it MIGHT fail. If you use cement it will delaminate along with the tile thus leaving the tiles un useable. I have never seen a failure with a gypsum day yet but my understanding is that the failure due to moisture is at the tile addy interface. This means that the tiles would come away clean and be reusable. Not sure if this is true or not. This job could be the way to find out though cos sure as eggs is eggs if you tile it next week it won't be dry. The underfloor heating should also be commissioned. This one seems doomed. The trouble for you is that as a professional you are accepting a contract and carrying out an installation that you know to be incorrect. A disclaimer may not cover you and you could end up liable for the inevitable repairs. My personal advice ........ as a self confessed anhydrite expert....... Walk away from it or do it properly. At 70mm which itself is far too deep you will be looking at two months.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Bri......I may well use that as a means of showing people what happens when they do it wrong........when I call on site tak a couple of tiles and some addy and stick them down. See which one fails......hmmmmm. Some of he ills might want to do the same. E.g when you are asked to tile the screed do a quick to tile sample patch. One with gypsum one with cement. Not sure how practical this suggestion is so I shall now stop waffling and get back to my cuppa

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I'm going to step by step photo this job Alan and I'll also do a proper sample of cement based with a primer. If I can I'll video it so that the different amounts of pressure required to prise the tiles off the floor can be seen.
Will look forward to the pics bri. We know cement and primer stick ok if all is perfect but will still be interesting to see.

S

Stef

Ajax, we work with this guy direct even though he has subbied out the rest of the works to another company, owner of this company we are friendly with also, the both of them know we should be waiting roughly 70 days for this to dry out & they also know that we are not goin to be held responsible for what happens with these floors, this could be the ultimate test to find out what happens when the floor fails.

if you knew this guy you would know what hes like, more money than a horse could ???? he will be on the sunday times rich list replacing his dad when the old man goes ( very high up may i add )

we are not keen on this he knows our concerns, we have been here before with him on a few occasions & he is a man of his word so i will let you know what the outcome of this will be, never know miracles could happen!!!:lol:

Why have weber got it in their "Tile Fixing Solutions" book that u can go over a sealed Anhydrite screed with almost all of the cement based addys?? I know you & Dave have tried a few different addys for this screed. Cheers folks.:thumbsup:

Reply to Decoupler and anhydrite in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.