Discuss Deposits in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stocks Tiles

I don't, but if materials were to be a huge cost I would require X amount to be paid when I start but make it clear that I will be bringing the materials and leaving them on site so they can be satisfied that they can see what the money has actually covered so far. Customers can get nervy about handing over money and tradesmen obviously get nervy about getting their money, I make it clear in quotations that payment is required to be paid upon time of completion and that seems to work ok :)

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd not fix a tile without the materials being paid for first, then labour due on Day of completion. You have no legal rights to remove any tiles once fixed and the 20% profit on materials is hard earned if they decide they don't like the current fashion trend.
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile and before you know it your chasing thousands while they're sitting in the garden having a beer with your money sitting in their bank earning them the interest!

D

Dougs Third Go

It's not something I do (take a deposit), but think that I should especially for materials. Once or twice I've been in a situation where I've been and collected materials prior to starting a job to then get the phone call that they've put the job on the back burner for now, leaving me with bags of addy, trims, grout etc. Not such a big problem as I'll use these on the next job but if tiles are involved and they were a special order I'd be charged a re-stocking fee if I took them back to supplier.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Always take a deposit, especially if you are supplying tiles, I've been kind enough to negotiate a discount for the customer to help them, so they have to show some commitment back to me.

When it's supply and fit of kitchens then it's a 50% deposit, without any exception.

I don't order anything until either the cheque has cleared or the bank transfer has gone through ok.

Makes business sense, too many companies go under because of cashflow problems. You only need one bad/none payer and it causes major problems i.e. time and hassle to retrieve the monies owed, and the the stress related to it.

S

Sean SML Tiling

I always take deposits. As stated in my t&c's (thanks to geoff) I take deposit and if customer cancels within 14 days of booking me then I can keep the money for loss of earnings. I tell people that the deposit is for materials and to book my time as there are too many time wasters out there that cost me money. Once you tell them that they pay up straight away and if they don't they are wasting your time

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Deposits in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB