UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Dewalt d24000 vs Montolit tornado vs rubi dw250n in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richard Kent

Hi Terry
I'm a big Festool fan, got a load of their gear.
I will have to start useing a diamond blade and tracks with their plunge saw for Ezystone worktops.
Once you used the plunge saw and tracks with a diamond blade, does it damage the saw or tracks or can I easily you go back to a wood cutting blade? or do I need to get another plunge saw one for wood and one for stone?
Thanks Richard

T

terrygrant

Depends what you mean by damage.....obviously it gets dusty and I am sure your average carpenter would be more than a little disgruntled if you borrowed his Festo, used it for the purpose I describe and then gave it back to him, but if like me you regard tools as items you use and abuse occasionally when justified then its fine and I regularly swap my saw from wood to stone and back as I require and its been fine so far.......but obviously your waranty is out of the window the moment you cut stone with it.

Regards

Terry

T

terrygrant

"Hopefully" :)

I did it as an experiment on a big job that I cold afford to write off the saw to and I cant help myself when it comes to trying alternative methods to solve a problem. So if anyone else is following in my path then good for you but please be aware that if you are using somthing for somthing other than what it was designed for then if it breaks you are on your own:thumbsdown::oops::mad2:. However if it works and saves you loads of time you are a winner :hurray:

Heres to pushing the envelope as far as tool use/abuse goes :)

Terry

PS another little tip, buy one of those little kettle elements for heating a single cup of tea whilst camping (they work on 110 and 240) and put it in the resevoir of your wet saw whilst working outside in the winter (make sure the element cant come in contact with the tray if its plastic!) then you will find that he water that used to freeze your fingers is luke warm :)

R

Richard Edwards

The small diamond wheel - 85mm sounds like a solution lads - however I'm not over keen on running dry diamond wheels in grinders as the dust is a issue - even with a mask and safety glasses - unless its a small one off. I certainly would not be happy changing a blade over in a wet saw just for a single switch box.

There are better alternatives, in my opinion. Ie a Rubi N200 / ND 200 as per Dave's post, or a Rotozip saw or a Fein cutter with a diamond blade.

The reason I like the table top saw as well is this - - -

When you want to cut -say a switch box [either whole or part in a tile] then using a Rubi Table saw - or any table saw for that matter, you plunge the blade from underneath [back] of the tile and then you will end up with a neat accurate cut into the corners due to the curvature of the blade. Whereas if you plung it from the face of the tile, whether you are using an overhead D24000 or similar overhead machine or even an angle grinder, you cut to the pencil marks on the tile face and stop at the corner. The tile breaks as it gets too weak and you end up with a triangular nib in the corner to break out with either nippers / file or something else - pain in neck - - - Now I know it sounds petty, but it can take time and effort and sometimes you break the tile after your careful work, just trying to remove this nib.

The thing I like about this forum and this type of debate is - You can exchange ideas and methods and by doing so develop your skills and approach to issues and realise that there are several methods of achieveing the result you need, some suit you and product and some don't. What it does [to me at least] is create a method of self-thinking of - Here's an issue, how can we overcome this ? and what do we need to do to achieve the end result ? Can we do it better ?
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS - Dave will be pleased to hear that I bought a Fein cutter from Tile Trader recently as I am often working on a job and thought - what I need now is a Fein - I haven'y used it yet but no doubt will.:smilewinkgrin:

Thanks

R

Richard Edwards

Note to Terry Grant

I Like the idea of your kettle element to stop the cold water in the winter and I like the concept of developing and adapting tools and equipment to solve other issues and even modifying tools to either improve there performance or use them for other purposes.

I know this is not strictly Post applicable, but I just wanted to say Thanks

andy-p

TF
Arms
I have a table saw as well as the Dewalt one..

My table saw is the Rubi Diamant D200 and is well above the ND200 for quality.. iv'e had the same cutter for yrs and yrs.. it is fully stainless steel and sits in the water tray rather than a slide in one... marvellous cutter for power etc but for the amount of stone work i do then it had to be the dewalt over the Rubi dw250n i had..

45951_Big.jpg

Dave , I fix a lot of stone too and i use a Rodia 207 bridge cutter , its a crackin machine and weighs under 40kgs without the legs so is fairly portable for one man , the only problem for domestic use is water spray , do you reckon the Dewalt is better than a bridge for cutting stone ?

D

DHTiling

Well .. and this is a very honest answer .. Yes.. the Dewalt is the best machine i have used, cuts super straight and no niagra falls all over the floor.

It is so portable and the mitre feature is a lot more accurate than the dw250n i had..

I nearly bought a dewalt 4 yr ago and machine mart took sooooooooo long to get it one in stock that i went for the rubi rail cutter.. then when i eventually got the dewalt i thought how the hell did i cope without it..

this coupled with the montolit DNA blade is awesome on stone.. cuts so quick.. much quicker than the standard dewalt blade..

And yes i have used the standard blade for 2 weeks now and changed back to the monty blade today... like a hot knife to butter..

So as you can gather i am chuffed to bits with my dewalt.:thumbsup:

this coupled with the montolit DNA blade is awesome on stone.. cuts so quick.. much quicker than the standard dewalt blade..

And yes i have used the standard blade for 2 weeks now and changed back to the monty blade today... like a hot knife to butter..

Really pleased that you've confirmed the difference between the DNA and the standard blade Dave - I've been holding back on getting a DNA as I knew you would have an opinion between the two at some stage since you swapped:smilewinkgrin:

Is the difference that big?

R

Richard Edwards

Hello Dave

There are acutally two types of DNA blades - sorry for confusion earlier. One is described as 'Sectormont SCX' and the other Sectormont SCX Silent'
One has std diamond ht and the other is deeper at 10mm and that is the ' Silent ' - Both are segmented and both are 'Wet Only'

broken link removed

I don't really understand, except the deeper version is likely to be more expensive and probably last longer. If you look at the Adobe version its pretty obvious to see why you like the performance as the construction of the diamond setting is the key

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ross9807

I've now got my dewalt d2400. Words can not explain how good this tile cutter is. I am so amazed, i can't wait to go to work on monday and use it. Its saves so much time and is so easy, i cant believe how i was doing it before. If anyone else is face with a decision like this, BUY IT. You'll earn the money back in no time.

I had to write something on this site about it, my girlfriend fed up of hearing about it. :)

A

Aston

apparently the montolit tornado is made in china and its suffering a few teething problems? the laser has been an issue too.

i think pound for pound the dewalt is a much wiser buy ;0)

also, its worth mentioning that the dewalt floor square is identical to the montolit floor square except they are 2 different colours. the dewalt being silver, the monti being yellow. the dewalt is around £160, the montolit is around £230...sometimes you are just paying for a name? not always, but sometimes...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Dewalt d24000 vs Montolit tornado vs rubi dw250n in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Anyone using the rubi dr 350 and can give any feedback? same for the dewalt looking at...
Replies
Views
C
Hi All, Im new to the forum, so go easy with me!!! Im after some advice please. I purchased a...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
B
Evening all, So getting back into the swing of it all again and need to get myself a new wet...
Replies
Views
Gonzo1969
G
R
Hi Guy's I'm looking at buying a new Rubi....I like them so sticking with them. I like how the...
Replies
Views
T
Time for me to stop lurking and pipe up, albeit ask for advice and opinions LoL! I'm a DIYer...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.