UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Disaster tiling job being fixed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stu-180

are your tiles dead straight ? or do the have a bevelled edge (slightly rounded), if it has a bevelled edge then I would say (just my opinion) that it will be near on impossible to get it dead flush.

My way of thinking would be its looks something like this -
(hopefully it makes sense)

Tilegrout.jpg

Maybe someone a bit more 'in the know' can comment on it also.

L

L1bel

are your tiles dead straight ? or do the have a bevelled edge (slightly rounded), if it has a bevelled edge then I would say (just my opinion) that it will be near on impossible to get it dead flush.

My way of thinking would be its looks something like this -
(hopefully it makes sense)

Tilegrout.jpg

Maybe someone a bit more 'in the know' can comment on it also.

Thanks! I'm afraid I do't have pics yet. but my tiles have a hard square edge - no bevel at all. So assuming the tiles themselves are level (heh), I would have thought it would be possible to get the grout virtually flush.

If they were bevenlled though, i'd have no issues at all with the groutline in the above image. Problem was that with a square edge, the grout was at least 1-2mm below the edge of the tiles. Would be a magnet for dirt/dust etc.

L

L1bel

Thanks all.

Yes, it was a bit of a cringeworthy moment when I looked at the bathroom and knew something wasn't right. When I asked him what colour grout he had used and he said Ivory, I think I closed my eyes and hoped I was dreaming!!

No idea why he freestyled on such an issue! He tried telling me that it was the best colour to use with beige tiles but it gives a fundamentally ifferent look and finish so I had to insist he take it out. Really felt for him though but he knew he'd dropped the ball.

It was his second "independent" decision. He installed my toilet flush on the left of the toilet rather than the right where it was before. Baffled as to why since I think it's pretty standard to be on the right. I was going to ask him to flip it until I saw the grouting and realised we had bigger issues!

L

L1bel

Why did he remove and replace the flush mechanism?

Long story short - I had mu entire bathroom redone and tiled. Builder was a cowboy who couldn't tile so had to have another tiler redo all the tiling.

That involved re-tiling over and around the cistern boxing. At the same time I was replacing my toilet (as the cowboy had supplied me a defective one!). The new tiler had taken all fixtures and fittings off to avoid scratches. All made their way home in the same pleace except the flush button! Nothing I can't live with though provided everything else is done well.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
On my perfectly flat 450x450 porcelain floor tiles, I have a 3mm grout joint, and not one is flush. The job is a perfect job. And I'd guess there's a 1mm depth to the grout joint. On walls generally, when you wipe diagonally you get the flush finish but messy grout lines, then you give a stroke or two down or across the joint to get the grout perfect, but it will then be 1mm or more deeper than flush.

So sort of still like that image Stu's done, but without the bevelled edge (though only 1mm or so deep).

Am I just butting in here? Have we covered this already? :lol:

L

L1bel

On my perfectly flat 450x450 porcelain floor tiles, I have a 3mm grout joint, and not one is flush. The job is a perfect job. And I'd guess there's a 1mm depth to the grout joint. On walls generally, when you wipe diagonally you get the flush finish but messy grout lines, then you give a stroke or two down or across the joint to get the grout perfect, but it will then be 1mm or more deeper than flush.

So sort of still like that image Stu's done, but without the bevelled edge (though only 1mm or so deep).

Am I just butting in here? Have we covered this already? :lol:

Hey Dan, thanks for the info. I guess i'll see how it is today. Maybe I was more put off by the ivory grout than the depth of the grout. although, it did look deeper than any other tiles I have seen. Maybe my measuring skills are not great and it was gmore than 2mm deeper - I'll measure tonight!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Disaster tiling job being fixed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.