Discuss Diy bathroom floor tile in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hey guys, I made a hello thread and updated it with a bit of background. Basically I'm a complete novice (diy course at local tech) who wants to tile my bathroom floor and splashbacks but wants to try my best to do it the best way I can. Im a keen diy er and have an interest to learn to be able to tile my own mini projects.

Could anyone tell me the best way to upload photos here from my iPhone? Not so hot with that kinda thing!

Anyways back to the bathroom, I have the room stripped aside from the sink so far, bath is still in but hoping not too have to remove it and tile under the plastic panel, the floor was previously vinyl and I think its chipboard approx 20 mm thick but I'll will confirm this.

My first question is the vinyl has left a sticky residue on the chipboard, I'm assuming the floor will need over boarded from reading on here but do I need to remove this sticky residue and if so what is my best way of doing this?

As the floor will need over boarded and I want to tile below my bath panel slightly do I need to overboard just the areas I'm tiling or will I need to remove the bath and overboard the entire room?

The bathroom is small, I havent measured it precisely but I'd estimate roughly 3/4 square metres.

Thanks in advance, Stevie

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Dan, I've always done it that way on the few times I use trim. You need a gap to fill and hold the grout, plus looks alot better, I think.
I don't think I can recall ever seeing it done that way. Must be honest!

Makes some sense really.

I used to teach tiling too. Admitingly not at national recognised grade level. But there are tilers making more money right now than I do and some are members of this forum.

And I'd always said butt the trim up and grout the small ridge but don't use spacers.

Thinking about it, around an external corner (window say) surely that wouldn't work? You'd end up with a weak point with a grout line either side of it?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I suppose it makes sense but the plastic flexes more than the grout I'd imagine. And that won't crack.

On an external corner with 2mm grout either side of it, I can imagine a lot of failures as if assume (might be wrong) you've created a really weak corner and if knocked it's just going to let the grout squish around and maybe fall out?

I've not been called back. That's for sure. I had the same phone number for about 12 years up until a few months ago too.

image.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It says spacing between joints for walls should be 2mm, 3mm for floors.

The reasoning behind it is to allow for movement.

But at tile edging like in the picture, it's the end of the run of tiles, sort of thing, so it's not going to move into anything. Plus tile trim has a void inside it (the quarter moon shape ones anyway).

Must be honest, I'm not actually sure now I've sen that because it does look neat.

But on an external corner, surely you'd be creating a weak point where the grout is the corner, and some flimsy plastic trim, instead of the solid tile with some trim protection on the edge of it.

Start taking a look in hotel bathrooms and pubs and in pictures on the forum. We WILL get to the bottom of this lol.

I'm going to make a poll.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Diy bathroom floor tile in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB