Discuss do any other tilers do this in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

Devi mats are great, sticky-backed and well made do so they go down fast and flat. But now there's no room for profit with them since they sell to the public same as to trade.
Other mats I've found to be a faff to install.

Now I use ezewarm cables with their plastic spacing bars and it's much faster and allows me to make a decent little profit on the supply too.
I was contacted by somebody from ezewarm I have been using roma heating do you have any idea how they compare price wise or am I going to stop being lazy and check for myself

H

hmtiling

Devi mats are great, sticky-backed and well made do so they go down fast and flat. But now there's no room for profit with them since they sell to the public same as to trade.
Other mats I've found to be a faff to install.

Now I use ezewarm cables with their plastic spacing bars and it's much faster and allows me to make a decent little profit on the supply too.
Did you ever get the gold account at the underfloor heating store? A tidy profit to be made there

T

Tile Shop

Looks like these shop owners are only looking to push their products and not reading the whole thread. ;)

Two substrates need an expansion joint between any covering, with nothing bridging it at any point. We have come across a similar occurrence with a newly extended kitchen with Ditra Heat. This was two solid sand/cement screeds meeting straight down the middle. Each side was covered with econoboard uncoated insulation with a silicone joint where they met, and a further gap between the uncoupling mat. Standard movement joint was then used between the tiles.

I suppose in the OP's case if he did go down the Vario route, would be the same as our customer did, but use a more solid coated insulation like Marmox to reduce the deflection in the wood.

One other thing, it had to be treated as 2 zones as the cable is not allowed to cross the joint (advised by Schluter), but both cables plugged into the one stat as the cold tails were channelled up through the wall to a central point. A contactor snubber can be used if the total output is going to exceed 3.6kw, or they could just use 2 thermostats.

T

Time's Ran Out

Like these threads a customers goes into a shop and doesn't tell the whole story. Do you drag it out of them with a list of various scenarios or just sell them what they ask for! Not every shop employs NVQ level sales staff and if Tilers get annoyed at their sales technique it's your job to win the project with your depth of knowledge, charisma, and personality. Life's all about competition.

D

Dumbo

Evening all

More a watcher than a poster, but, I priced a job up for 37 metres on the electric matting, which include slc and schlutter, but was told today that the tile supplier can get a tiler that will tile straight on to the wires and without schlutter!! Can't believe anyone would do this over such a big area, wouldn't do it over a metre let alone 37 of large format porcelain
To be honest just read this post again and looked at the bit about the tile shops tiler . My advice would be to tell them to crack on with that tiler . I personally would walk away. It might sound defeatist but you are going into a situation where the client will be probably question your every action and rely on Google for the answers and as you know if it's on the Internet it must be true . It won't end well walk away. You may have done this already and just maybe asking for reassurance which is fine . You must specify your work as you will be asked to put it right .

To be honest just read this post again and looked at the bit about the tile shops tiler . My advice would be to tell them to crack on with that tiler . I personally would walk away. It might sound defeatist but you are going into a situation where the client will be probably question your every action and rely on Google for the answers and as you know if it's on the Internet it must be true . It won't end well walk away. You may have done this already and just maybe asking for reassurance which is fine . You must specify your work as you will be asked to put it right .

That's exactly what I've done, explained it all, and the need for the ufh mats to be fully covered, there call, wished her well, although I can't see it ending well, but there you go.

Cheers for the input, always a great fountain of knowledge

T

Tile Shop

That's exactly what I've done, explained it all, and the need for the ufh mats to be fully covered, there call, wished her well, although I can't see it ending well, but there you go.

Cheers for the input, always a great fountain of knowledge

Now all you've got to do, is sit back and wait for the call for you to come out and quote for rectifying it when it all goes belly up :)

@Lee@TileTown not used this VarioPRO but am surprised you recommend it is suitable to bridge two different substrates, how much vertical moment will it absorb?

actually julian, i was replying to the original post, this bit

"but was told today that the tile supplier can get a tiler that will tile straight on to the wires and without schlutter!"

just saying. as ive only been a #shopkeeper for over 22 yrs then please accept my apology for slightly misreading that there was two different substrates.

i'd still stand by my post however.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to do any other tilers do this in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, a few years ago we had an extension built and the tiler recommended by the builder did our...
Replies
Views
Ok. Basically am i tilng right/prepping correctly? Full time professional tiler, nearly 15...
Replies
Views
Hi we are Large format tile installers. With over 20 years of tiling experience . We have...
Replies
Views
John Lancaster
J
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Tile Fix Direct is a one-stop-shop for tiling and wet room essentials including decoupling...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB