UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss do you think that DEF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Don't beleive so. There are reactions that can go on Between portlandite and glass bt these tend only to happen at high temperatures.

Ettringite is hydrated calcium sulphoaluminate so is pretty specific I.e. gypsum, moisture and cement. I guess thre is some possibility of a alkali silica reaction with porous silicate glass if it contains reactive silicates.....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Could be to do with drying whilst empty. Or even more likely if it has been exposed to freeze thaw this can have a dramatic effect on the adhesive to glass interface.

It is possible that there is alkali silica reaction going on between the glass and the adhesive but again I would think this unlikely.

There is another much less common sulphate attack that occurs in cement called thaumesite. Can't remember what the conditions are for this to occur but beleive it has to be mobile water such as would be found in ground conditions where there is a variable water table. This is pretty rare though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to do you think that DEF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
B
hi everyone, sorry I’m new to this forum so please bear with me. Here is my dilemma & hoping for...
Replies
Views
Ben tiler
B
O
    • Informative
    • Useful
So Gary and I have come down to Hastings to inspect a large Porcel-thin floor that is failing...
2 3 4 5 6 7
Replies
Views
I
So after a few PM's I think I've got to the bottom of @antonio's intended thread! Below are two...
Replies
Views
AndY mac
A
Hi Could do with some advice off you guys n girls on pricing a pool. I've tiled a few...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.