UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Down Tools and walk away....you know it makes sense in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Its been another cold and brutal week, and thats just the weather. On the work front, its been no better, you get a contract, only for someone to move the goal posts and want a few millon extras because ' we thought that was included in your quote'. I have finally learnt that you cant argue with idiots, so the best thing to do is simply this.

Pack up your tools and walk away....because sometimes thats the only way they sober up and realise come Monday morning..the tumbleweed will be rolling through the site.

I am urging everyone of you to make sure that your quotes are comprehensive and list every item of work your agreeing to do is included within them. If they are not there is a surveyor somewhere, someplace waiting around the corner to trip you up.

And remember this a surveyor will assume if you havent written it down in triplicate, they can have the work done for free.

Lynn

P

Pebbs

Doug I do rant and have been ranting for some time now, because Ive seen a change in what sub-contractors are getting lumbered with by the 'bully boy' attitude that seems to be ingrained in some of these main contractor surveyors and project managers. All I get these days is the saying...ohh we thought you had allowed for these 'extras' in your price...your still be making a good profit. They really must think we all have 'Mug' written on our foreheads, because we all know that they will be charging the client back for the 'extras'. Commercial contracts are supposed to be the big earners, but my god you have to sell your soul some weeks to stay one step ahead.

On the other hand...

I did something rare last week, I did a small 'private job' for a lady whos sauna/shower room had started to leak. I went and did the quote, she gave me coffee and was polite. We sent someone to do the work, rang her the day before to confirm what time he would be there, and the upshot is he didnt want to leave the house in the end. She had cooked him breakfast, put the radio on for him, and given him countless hot drinks and biscuits throughout the day. Then gave him a £20.00 tip when the work was finished, and then to just rub things in rang me up to thank us for a job well done! I cant even remember the last time that happened on a commercial job.

Such is life!

Lynn

D

doug boardley

Doug I do rant and have been ranting for some time now, because Ive seen a change in what sub-contractors are getting lumbered with by the 'bully boy' attitude that seems to be ingrained in some of these main contractor surveyors and project managers. All I get these days is the saying...ohh we thought you had allowed for these 'extras' in your price...your still be making a good profit. They really must think we all have 'Mug' written on our foreheads, because we all know that they will be charging the client back for the 'extras'. Commercial contracts are supposed to be the big earners, but my god you have to sell your soul some weeks to stay one step ahead.

On the other hand...

I did something rare last week, I did a small 'private job' for a lady whos sauna/shower room had started to leak. I went and did the quote, she gave me coffee and was polite. We sent someone to do the work, rang her the day before to confirm what time he would be there, and the upshot is he didnt want to leave the house in the end. She had cooked him breakfast, put the radio on for him, and given him countless hot drinks and biscuits throughout the day. Then gave him a £20.00 tip when the work was finished, and then to just rub things in rang me up to thank us for a job well done! I cant even remember the last time that happened on a commercial job.

Such is life!

Lynn
Lynn, I totally agree with you!

P

Pebbs

Ok this is a totally unrelated post but seeing how its my 1000th and its not a rant! :lol:

Recently I went out to price a job, nice big house down Maidenhead way. You never know on these jobs, whos house it is, who lives there because for the most part the owner is never there. This one was for Bathroom re-furbs and other bits and bobs. When I got there, the strip out had already begun, you know the scene dust and crap flying every which way. When who walks in but Rolf Harris! he looked a bit shell shocked, which was hardly surprising seeing how the rooms were being teared up like a good un. I was tempted to say...'Can you tell what it is yet?' but on this occasion I kept my mouth shut.

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

When who walks in but Rolf Harris! he looked a bit shell shocked, which was hardly surprising seeing how the rooms were being teared up like a good un. I was tempted to say...'Can you tell what it is yet?' but on this occasion I kept my mouth shut.
Lynn
Damn it Lynn that's a once in a life time opportunity and you let it sail right by. Disappointed in you:mad2:

I would have had to, complete with dodgy Aussie accent

C

CJ CERAMICS

Ok this is a totally unrelated post but seeing how its my 1000th and its not a rant! :lol:

Recently I went out to price a job, nice big house down Maidenhead way. You never know on these jobs, whos house it is, who lives there because for the most part the owner is never there. This one was for Bathroom re-furbs and other bits and bobs. When I got there, the strip out had already begun, you know the scene dust and crap flying every which way. When who walks in but Rolf Harris! he looked a bit shell shocked, which was hardly surprising seeing how the rooms were being teared up like a good un. I was tempted to say...'Can you tell what it is yet?' but on this occasion I kept my mouth shut.

Lynn

OMG i would just have had to say it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Down Tools and walk away....you know it makes sense in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
We're getting some forum shirts done, Polo Shirts, found a good quality one that's longer than...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
O
well if you're like me, prob not!, my quest for the perfect knee pad continues. I spend an...
2 3
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Down Tools and walk away....you know it makes sense
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.