Discuss Dust collection for power tools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

I've spent a few bucks in the last year or so on tools that can be attached to dust extraction vacs. Currently, we have 2 Festool dust extractors and 2 Hilti vacs. Both are rated as having HEPA quality filtration. After doing construction work for 25 years, I've started to have some real problems (started a long time ago, actually :thumbsdown:) with my sinuses and respiratory system, and I'm certain the biggest reason must be from all the dust and dirt that I breathe in everyday at work. My ENT (Ear Nose Throat) doctor told me before a sinus surgery a few years ago that if things didn't change I'd likely have to quit working in the trade and GOD FORBID:mad2: get a job in an office :yikes:eek:r something similar. So I figure it's cheaper than more surgery to buy some good equipment and get religion about using it and respirators and quality dust masks on the job. It's also a good thing for my men-I want them to have a reasonably healthy worksite.

I bought two Abatement Technologies HEPA air cleaners. This is the model:

Crime Scene Cleanup | Meth Lab Decontamination | PRED600 Portable Air Scrubber | Capture Airborne Contaminants Decontaminate

Besides keeping the job cleaner and healthier, I've turned it into a marketing tool and I'm convinced I've gotten jobs because I tell the prospective customer that we will be setting up HEPA air cleaners on the site. Many seem to be impressed that I've planned for this and maybe that set us apart from the competitors.

We now have a demo hammer, a grinder, a Roto Zip, and several sanders that are equipped with attachments that enable us to run the HEPA vac while we are using the tool. We also have an electric concrete saw which lets us cut concrete in an enclosed space with virtually no dust getting past the suction of the vac.

Results at times are impressive. The Festool sanders and the Roto Zip achieve nearly total dust collection. You'll see in the photos that we don't even wear masks when sanding with the Festool sanders or cutting with the Roto Zip.

For the Hilit demo hammer and Hilti grinder, results are decent when we use another vac along with the vac that is attached to the tool. The chipping hammer set up is good, but the main problem is the dust that is kicked up while the tile and mortar falls and hits the floor.

Contractors here are being increasingly regulated by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) with respect to hazardous dusts and so forth in the workplace. From what I read here on the forum, it sounds like things are much the same in the UK.

I don't mind spending the money on this equipment. We take care of it and I anticipate it all lasting for many years.

Here are some photos to show what we are doing with dust collection on our remodel jobs.

Here we are using the Hilti demo hammer to tear out the mud and tile on the walls. This installation was done in the 1930's, and the mud on the walls averaged about 1.5 inches thick. The concentrated force of the demo hammer is easier on the walls (and the plaster on the other side) than beating on it with a sledgehammer.

Hilti demo hammer + vac (Large).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

We used the Hilti grinder the other day to cut this tile and cement board on the wall into sections that were easily removed and carried away. This was a lot better than beating on the walls.

The other photo shows the Hilti grinder cutting back the gypcrete underlayment that the old tile was set over-and leading into the cork flooring outside the kitchen. The customer had an expensive Steinway grand piano sitting about 10 feet away from this doorway. We were able to make a nearly dustless cut and cut away a clean line in the gypcrete and also avoid damaging the cork flooring.

Attachments

• Hilti grinder + vac 1 (Large).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Hilti grinder + vac (Large).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

The Roto Zip cuts right through plaster with virtually no dust getting away from the vac. We cut all the holes in the plaster now for our Sparky and it works so well there is no need for a drop cloth under the work area.

The photo on the bottom shows how we used a Festool sander to take down the wood so that I could mud in a level curb for the chippy to set the new front door unit. Same thing here-there was an antique Steinway just 10 feet away and we kept it free from dust.

Attachments

• Roto Zip with vac (Large).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Roto Zip + vac (Large).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Festool sander + vac (Large).JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 49
M

mikethetile

I dont have air extraction like that Rob

but Ive been working extremely clean for about four years now, I have a Hitachi dust extraction/cleaner I always use with sanding, drilling etc. plenty of dropsheets and rubble sacks for rubbish
nothing goes on the floor so when the sheets are lifted they can be folded and back in the van

the floors are spotless every night and theres no dust in the air

it goes a long way when one woman says to another, he works very clean, I dont even need to dust after him

Reply to Dust collection for power tools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Drilling a hole into a Belle bath. Fitting Victorian taps. Drill steel baths. Project fitting...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
D
How to drill a hole in a steel bath. At 365Drills we provide either the equipment you need or...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Dust collection for power tools
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.