Discuss ebay puzzle... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Was on ebay yesterday, to buy a cover for my kindle, admit I left that window open while looking at other pages, came back to it and there was this notice, looking all very legit, from ebay, that for customer verification I'd need to give my credit card details, address, the lot. Thought NO WAY - I always pay by paypal, clicked off, restarted the ebay page, it had saved the cover I had been looking at, but no sign of this verification notice. Googled it and the info I got was confusing, yes, it said, ebay can ask for this if you buy knifes and sharps of any sort, - I didn't, but some said it was a spam - does anyone know anything about this?

U

user123

Don't sound right, the other half was getting emails, supposedly from paypal, checking her details and she reported back to paypal and it was spam, so I would let ebay know about it.

Yeah, I get the paypal ones, too, all the time, and umpteen pretending to be different banks I don't even bank with, bladibla, consider myself pretty savvy with all of it, but that was really odd, to have that appear on the screen like that, looking absolutely in keeping with the ebay design, wording, spelling, graphics, all of it, looked absolutely sound - just not this ridiculous request!

U

user123

I think it was Dan who once posted about not leaving several windows open at the same time, as that gives hackers or whatever they are called chance to sneak in there and take the page over or something along those lines? Makes me wonder if it was something like that... why can't these people if they are so clever to do all that just use all that cleverness for something legit?

Did you hear about Marks & Spencers and Tripadvisor's email databases being pinched as well today? Pfffffff ....

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
MG if you pm me your ebay login details and credit card details I can sort it for you.Honest ! :devil2:

Data theft: users' identities are stolen by sellers who send out 'phishing' messages asking them to re-enter their passwords. The information is then sent to computer hackers, who use the IDs to buy and sell stolen goods and access credit card details.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sounds very dodgy.

When logging in ebay, always make sure you're logging into...
Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk
and not something like
Code:
https://ebay-login.com
or something that could be even more similar to an ebay domain.

If in doubt, close your browser, open it up again and physically goto ebay again. Which it sounds like you did.

There will be loads more of this going on. Loads of emails will get stolen, loads have, they're worth quite a bit it seems if they're genuine email address databases and not just spam lists which most are inactive email addresses.

The world's biggest email spam network (which turned out to be just a couple of blokes) were spending a good 12,000 GPB on servers every month to control the millions of botnets that are on personal computers, have given up. Not because it wasn't working, or they got caught (which they did only after they stopped and let the code run itself which left traces to the controlling servers - something they'd have been on top of if they were actively running it). About November last year all spam networks reported 50 to 80% drop in Global email spam. turned out these couple of guys controlled about 70% of the whole world's spam.

For a while (up until about feb) nobody knew why they'd given up, as it was working so well for them, possibly making millions a month but almost impossible to tell.

Well, now, there's suspicion that they've simply moved on to something bigger and better, and it's highly likely to involve actual phishing and credit card fraud. Rather than just spamming and selling fake pharmaceuticals.

So watch out for an increase in these types of websites.

Reply to ebay puzzle... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
I would really appreciate some advice from those who know more about tiling than myself. We had...
Replies
Views
Don White
D
I thought I'd create a thread so we can link each other to the last thing we bought on eBay, so...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
anne_mutens
A
P
We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
ebay puzzle...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.