UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Exposed edges of tiles slightly visible after grouting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Yaglaser

In answer to your kind questions:

I think a few more pictures of offending tiles would help a bit more...

The other tiles look like the ones in the picture posted earlier.

as you said they're in the shower area, was it tanked prior to tiling?

Yes, a BAL shower kit was used.

From one pic its hard to say was there any waterproofing what is the substrate and what adh was used is it a shower area and finally do the tiles absorb water (may cause pic framing)

Waterproofing = BAL shower kit

Substrate = plasterboard (skimmed)

Adh = BAL Green Star (I asked for White Star)

Is it a shower area? Yes and there are exposed edges (like the one in the photo) in the shower area.

Do the tiles absorb water? I don't know: the tiler told us not to use the shower until next Tuesday.

Picture framing? Sorry, I don't know what that means.

Y

Yaglaser

Thanks, once again, for your replies. Regarding more photos: which sort would be useful? Wide angles or more close ups?

All the tiles were used up, I'm afraid; so I can't supply any photos of loose tiles.

he shouldn't have used the green star, it's a dispersion adhesive and will break down if it gets wet. he should have used a cement based adhesive

I thought this, but, according to BAL, it's okay for use in 'domestic showers'.

S

Stef

By the looks of the tiles i dont think it would matter if you did get a fuller grout joint as the glaze doesnt go far enough round the tile,
I see this all the time with tiles, Not just cheap tiles either, I think you will just have to live with it.

Regards the adhesive used, Although Greenstar states "Dry Intermittent wet environments" "Domestic Showers with a water proof grout" i would never use this in a shower as it will break down with water & will fail.

Did the tiler use an Epoxy grout?

If he wanted to use a dispersion adhesive then the very least he should have used should have been Bal Whitestar,
This will not break down when in contact with water.

J

jay

By the looks of the tiles i dont think it would matter if you did get a fuller grout joint as the glaze doesnt go far enough round the tile,
I see this all the time with tiles, Not just cheap tiles either, I think you will just have to live with it.

Regards the adhesive used, Although Greenstar states "Dry Intermittent wet environments" "Domestic Showers with a water proof grout" i would never use this in a shower as it will break down with water & will fail.

Did the tiler use an Epoxy grout?

If he wanted to use a dispersion adhesive then the very least he should have used should have been Bal Whitestar,
This will not break down when in contact with water.

Missed that bit re epoxy grout that would explain why they can recomend despersion adh on tanking . Thanks Robson

S

Stef

Jay we use Greenstar all the time with 1 housebuilder we do work for,
They use Plastic shower cubicles so the greenstar is never used in a shower but it is used round a bath. :mad2:

I have spoken to them on a number of occasions but they state, "we have used it for years & never had a problem" :mad2:

Until we get a major fail then they wont change their ways, on saying that though they are eventually starting to listen to us, I now have the MD phoning me asking for advice when they are tendering for new work so its a step in the right direction.

Getting back to the thread, We are seeing more & more tiles where the glaze is stopping almost on the face of the tile & not wrapping sufficiently enough round on to the side of the tile, It doesnt matter how much grout you use you will never be able to cover the biscuit.
I try to advise people when they are buying tiles to check for this as its becoming a pain.

Reply to Exposed edges of tiles slightly visible after grouting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.