Discuss External Mosiac Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Oh dear........as this is quite a big 'tree', I think tesserae would be too expenisve. Any suggestions?

You're not going to get cheaper than vitrified glass, Linda, porcelain will cost more and stain more easily, too, definitely go with the glass, it's still so easy to nip, no more dangerous than ceramics, really, in your group situation - you may have to ask for goggles to be worn, depending on the health and safety regs at your place, you'll need to provide nippers, wheeled ones cheaper than the Leponitt once are available from the forum sponsor TradeTiler, they are good, I use one myself, I alternate with the Leponit one. Longer handled so more leverage, even though the leponitt wheels are sharper.

A

Art mo

Direct onto the aquapanel....the tree trunk will be made in 3 peices and the students are making a circular plaque (approx 15" diameter) each which will be placed at the end of each branch. Am thinking it best to have batons screwed to the wall and then apply the tree and plaques to the baton. Will drill holes before tiling. Does that makes sense. Thanks for the info so far, am very grateful.

U

user123

Joe, I'm going to ignore you for a sec... Linda, I'm with you design wise, but really wouldn't go for the direct on the aqua panel approach. Why? because of the working time of the adhesive, if you are working in a group situation you'd have to hand out little cups of perfectly mixed adhesive for each person to deal with as if it were glue, and you're going to lose control over if it's still any good to use. Also, if you work directly like that, changes at the end are much harder to do, things like sufficient gaps for grouting, if it's not just you working on it, your eyes would have to be everywhere in minute detail. Work on mesh, it's still a direct approach to give that instant satisfaction to your group, but it gives you the chance to correct things before you sink each plaque into your adhesive, which is nice and fresh still then, and you can also press it down with a groutfloat to make it flatter. Have you worked on mesh before?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Art mo

Had to look up groutfloat! I like the sound of this but as never done it, it sounds quite daunting. See what yo mean about the adhesive though. Hmmmmmm

Joe, I'm going to ignore you for a sec... Linda, I'm with you design wise, but really wouldn't go for the direct on the aqua panel approach. Why? because of the working time of the adhesive, if you are working in a group situation you'd have to hand out little cups of perfectly mixed adhesive for each person to deal with as if it were glue, and you're going to lose control over if it's still any good to use. Also, if you work directly like that, changes at the end are much harder to do, things like sufficient gaps for grouting, if it's not just you working on it, your eyes would have to be everywhere in minute detail. Work on mesh, it's still a direct approach to give that instant satisfaction to your group, but it gives you the chance to correct things before you sink each plaque into your adhesive, which is nice and fresh still then, and you can also press it down with a groutfloat to make it flatter. Have you worked on mesh before?

U

user123

Adhesive wise Gisela would mapei kerafex or even P9 do the job?
For grout - mapei untracolour?
Also Art Mo you're going to need plenty of pieces,lol.
The best of luck and i hope you keep us up to date and nice pics possibly?

I'd prefer Keraflex, Joe, because of the longer opening time... but really feel as long as it's worked properly on mesh and any good powdered swimming pool adhesive is used - Linda may not be able to get hold of Mapei where she is, Ultra is pretty good, too, and often easier to come by, either will be fine.

U

user123

No .....and now I'm scared!!

Ok, the idea to work on mosaic mesh is to fix the glass tesserae to the mesh with tiny dots of the most hated term her on TF, :lol: waterproof PVA. I say tiny dots, because theit job is to hold the glass to the mesh that has a very open weave so that the cement adhesive, when the mosaic is pushed onto it, seeps through the mesh and grabs the tesserae. The PVA will NOT hold the mosaic in the long run, it just serves as a temporary hand to hold things in place. So the main message to yourself and your group would be to NEVER cover all of the glass with the PVA - it would, even the waterproof version - come life again on contact with the cement and eventually all the pieces would just drop off. So just little dots, ok?

Draw the designs on paper with a marker pen, cover the whole thing with two layers of clingfilm, tape down, nice and flat, then same with the mesh above and then stick your glass to the mesh with tiny dots. Leave to dry. When dry remove the tape, the mesh should lift up with the glass on, ready to set into the adhesive. :)

Reply to External Mosiac Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi All and thank you in advance. I'm DIY'er with quite good general understanding and capable of...
Replies
Views
I have cream coloured limestone tiles installed on outdoor walls around the perimeter of my...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Everyone, This is my first post. I'm looking to tile around my cloakroom corner sink with...
Replies
Views
Mav3000
M
D
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
External Mosiac Advice needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.