Discuss first month in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

anyway had to pop back to the showroom to see the floor tiles I will be laying on Monday, took a snap of the bay I tiled with all the units in hope you like it... WP_20140305_002.jpg

Q

Qwerty

oh and also having to use the grinder on each cut! do I silicone the plug sockets once I have grouted or is grout sufficient... im thinking grout but common sense is saying silicone due to any movement that may occur?

I assume you mean when the sockets are screwed back down onto the uneven tile surface of these tiles? If so, then silicone them where needed. Grout will crack and look unsightly.

P

Peter

It can be tight with cashflow when you're just starting off Ash. I remember times when I was living hand to mouth day to day and couldn't get credit in tile shops. (Just after the recession when my boss had no work for me and I didn't have much of my own work). If I supplied materials, I needed paid on the way home or else I was going to run out of petrol. Remember a few times when I had stuck £40 petrol in the car and claimed I'd forgotten my bank card just to get home, telling the shop I'd drop the money in tomorrow. :lol: It's not all doom and gloom and you'll be rewarded as time goes on but it's quite a struggle and tempting just to get a stable job in a factory.

Hard to get any savings up when you start but my advice would be to try and put a few hundred aside in it's own bank account to use as a float, and don't dip into it for family bills etc. Keep it separate and keep it topped up every time money comes in.

Sorry about that post, makes me sound closer to 76 than 26 :lol:

M

Mr Tiler

wow 26 mate.. thank you for the advice, I don't seem t be able to actu7ally keep any money in the bank it just disappears so I know what you mean. I wont be going back into a factory only to tile the toilets! lol but in all seriousness I know its a long hard struggle the first couple of years but after signing on for as long as I have been my first few years are not concentrating on the money solely its more about just getting my name about and the work that is passed my way taking the most care possible to get the job correct every time so that I am getting many calls a day with offers of work lol. cheers matey I hope it is going well for ya I am not far behind age wise and I wish I started out earlier!!! cheers

M

Mr Tiler

Best advise I ever got was..
1st year You support the business.
2nd year it will support itself.
3rd year it will support you!

live by those rules and you won't go far wrong matey,
tell ya what if it all works out il have that tattoo'd on my backside lol, that's the exact same thing my advisor told me when we met lol

- - - Updated - - -

No real way of minimising gap sizes other than carefully sorting through and selecting those that have a more uniformed face profile for the areas with sockets. Your ones look more like a porcelain split face effect tile rather than a true split face mosaic so lay as you would any normal tile.
ok Geoff thanks for the advise mate

focus on your website and drop cards in all the tile shops in your area , your website will bring in about 50% of your work if ranked correctly. I have not spent a penny on advertising in over a year now, started with google add words found the local paper and flyer dropping a waste of time facebook is quite good too

Very sorry for hijacking your thread Ash matey.
PR, do you use organic or paid add words?

Reply to first month in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB