Guest viewing is limited

Discuss floor or wall first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bootsmckiber

How about you guys giving me your opinions on why it's better to do the walls before the floor,Is there any positive side to doing the floors first,my helper is putting up a debate saying it wouldn't hurt to do the floors first,I'm so used to doing the walls first it's just a given,has anything changed over the last 20 years?Also the heated floor company says on it's instructions to use unmodified thinset,I'm telling my clients I want to use self leveling compound to cover the wiring but it's hard to argue with a companies directions,does anyone see anything wrong with using self leveling compound?Thanks,Mike

B

Benny Tiler

Also if they've got a new bath going in with a panel that can't be cut you'll need to do the floor first.

if grout lines are to marry up on wall and floor, I do the floor first, this way you've already got the wall tile layout set. To avoid messing up the floor I lay industrial grade card over the floor tiles after i've finished it.
I always cover electric ufh with a flexible self levelling compound.:thumbsup:

Doug, where do you get the card from? I've been looking for better ways to protect newly tiled floors when going back into the room to work.

D

doug boardley

Also if they've got a new bath going in with a panel that can't be cut you'll need to do the floor first.

Doug, where do you get the card from? I've been looking for better ways to protect newly tiled floors when going back into the room to work.
i actually got two 50 metre rolls off a housebuilder I do a lot of work for, I'm not sure where they got it from, but I think it was Travis Perkins

B

bootsmckiber

if grout lines are to marry up on wall and floor, I do the floor first, this way you've already got the wall tile layout set. To avoid messing up the floor I lay industrial grade card over the floor tiles after i've finished it.
I always cover electric ufh with a flexible self levelling compound.:thumbsup:

Right on Doug,that's exactly what I wanted to hear as yes the clients have specified they want everything to line up ,thanks,Mike

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
In 2 years of tiling I have never tiled a floor and a wall in the same room! However, if/when I do, I would tile the wall first (from the datum line up). Then I would tile the floor. Then I would go back to the wall and finish off the bottom row/rows. Then I would grout the wall, then the floor. I've only layed UFH once, and used SLC over the cables. The SLC should state on the bag that it's suitable for UFH.

R

Rob Z

How about you guys giving me your opinions on why it's better to do the walls before the floor,Is there any positive side to doing the floors first,my helper is putting up a debate saying it wouldn't hurt to do the floors first,I'm so used to doing the walls first it's just a given,has anything changed over the last 20 years?Also the heated floor company says on it's instructions to use unmodified thinset,I'm telling my clients I want to use self leveling compound to cover the wiring but it's hard to argue with a companies directions,does anyone see anything wrong with using self leveling compound?Thanks,Mike

Hi Mike, which brand of floor heating are you using? NuHeat is located in your neck of the woods.....I've installed a lot of NuHeat mats-top quality.:thumbsup:

If for some reason we need to install the floor first, we cover it with masonite. 1/8" masonite is cheap protection at only $5 a sheet.

B

bootsmckiber

Hi Rob,thanks for your input.The system we're using is called "True Comfort Heating Systems,It's a system that Home Depot carry,it's an open cable system,I've covered the floor with Hardi Backer cement board,I'll be gluing the open cable to that then cover it with SLC,I'll go back in the next morning and set tile using Mapei UUltra Flex 2(my personal favorite)then go back in the next day and do the walls,the shower is an open shower style(no doors)as it needs to be wheelchair accesible,after grouting everything,it'll just be a matter of collecting all but 10percent of payment which I'll get three days later when I go in and seal everthing,my memory isn;t what it used to be but I think that's it.Again,thanks for your interest,if you see I've missed anything please,don't be shy,Mike

P.S. I don't think Virginia is anywhere near Vancouver Island although we are on the same side of the Atlantic,cheers.:thumbsup:

Reply to floor or wall first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
floor or wall first?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.