Guest viewing is limited

Discuss floor or wall first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Hey there Mike, My late mother always said Vancouver was her favorite destination of all the places she had visited.:thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with the cable system you mentioned. HD here is stocking "Warmly Yours". The only heating mats I have used are those by NuHeat and Laticrete.

I had a strange experience with Mapei UF 2 about 9 years ago. I went through about 5 bags, and each bag did the same thing: the longer it was in the bucket, the looser it got. I had batches that were mixed for 5 hours and by that time the thinset had turned to soup. It was very,very strange, and one time I met a former Mapei rep at a Schluter training class. I told him about the problem and he said he had heard through the grapevine that there was a bunch of thinset that acted weird and the lab rats never could figure out what was wrong with the mix.

Which brand of SLC do you use? I use Laticrete 84 or 86.

Rob

PS I heard Tims is coming my way...there are some stores as close as West Virginia. It's gonna be like "Smokey and the Bandit" when I make a Tim's run into WVa. :D :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bootsmckiber

Thanks for your input Rob,the slc that Home Depot stock here is called "Stone Mason Easy Flow,so I'll be going with that.Last summer I did a condo that had 32 units in it,I had to put 2 nu-heat mats in each unit,1 in the smaller bathroom and one in the ensuite,by the time I was finished the job I could lay the mat and screed it in 15-20 minutes,Iwish I was using mats but with the open cable I charge by the linear foot so I still do okay money wise,but only because I know what I'm doing,thanks again,Mike

H

hillhead

In 2 years of tiling I have never tiled a floor and a wall in the same room! However, if/when I do, I would tile the wall first (from the datum line up). Then I would tile the floor. Then I would go back to the wall and finish off the bottom row/rows. Then I would grout the wall, then the floor. I've only layed UFH once, and used SLC over the cables. The SLC should state on the bag that it's suitable for UFH.
:yikes:
What have you been doing Sean?
No full bathrooms?
No wetrooms?
All floors?
in my first two years i had 17 full houses in my books with everything else!
just lucky maybe.
I usually tile above battons,then floor,then bottom cuts.
But i have a travertine bathroom this week so 4 sizes on floor and walls.oops!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
:yikes:
What have you been doing Sean?
No full bathrooms?
No wetrooms?
All floors?
in my first two years i had 17 full houses in my books with everything else!
just lucky maybe.
I usually tile above battons,then floor,then bottom cuts.
But i have a travertine bathroom this week so 4 sizes on floor and walls.oops!
Joe, I've only just remembered that in 2 years I have only worked on one job that involved me tiling the floor and walls that were both in the same room. It was a small downstairs shower room. So to answer your questions, no full bathrooms or wetrooms. It's just either been the wall or the floor. However, I do have 2 full bathrooms booked in for next month, and I may be doing one next week if I get a call from a bloke on Monday. Sounds like you had a good couple of years. Cheers Sean

H

hillhead

Joe, I've only just remembered that in 2 years I have only worked on one job that involved me tiling the floor and walls that were both in the same room. It was a small downstairs shower room. So to answer your questions, no full bathrooms or wetrooms. It's just either been the wall or the floor. However, I do have 2 full bathrooms booked in for next month, and I may be doing one next week if I get a call from a bloke on Monday. Sounds like you had a good couple of years. Cheers Sean
Yeah i had a good start tiling sean and it has never stopped thankfully,
at least you have work booked in too sean:thumbsup:.a lot of guys about have nothing.
I have at least 2 months work in now(hope it continues:thumbsup:)
good luck with yours.

B

bootsmckiber

Re: new product on shelves

I just recieved an offer in my inbox from home depot to try the "latest"in ceramic and porcelain tile installation,it's a snap lock tile that you just clip together and grout,the tile is attatched to a plastic type piece of jigsaw puzzle that snaps together,it's the first time I've seen this so I'm expecting a barrage of questions from DIYers around town,"no thinset,no mess what do we have to lose"I'm already hating this product and i don't even know what it is,anyone out there have experience with this.Thanks,Mike

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Re: new product on shelves

I just recieved an offer in my inbox from home depot to try the "latest"in ceramic and porcelain tile installation,it's a snap lock tile that you just clip together and grout,the tile is attatched to a plastic type piece of jigsaw puzzle that snaps together,it's the first time I've seen this so I'm expecting a barrage of questions from DIYers around town,"no thinset,no mess what do we have to lose"I'm already hating this product and i don't even know what it is,anyone out there have experience with this.Thanks,Mike

Hi mike, thats a new one to me. But like you I already hate it, another stab at us pro's:ban:

B

bootsmckiber

Yes,they're definatly pushing this stuff,I must admit,to the do it yourselfer it has"Why hire a tilesetter when I can do something this easy and make it look just like a ceramic floor"written all over it.It advertises,"no mess,no thinset just clip the interlocking tiles together and you have a ceramic tile on a floating subfloor,obviously more expensive than "real tile"but I can definatly see this product taking away some of my buisness,I hope whatever the downside of this product is exposes itself quick and hard,there has to be a downside because it's to easy,I'm waiting for my first client to ask me if I install this stuff,I'd feel like I was ripping them off if I wasn't spinning mud and getting a little dirty,anyways,we'll wait and see,cheers Mike :ban:

Reply to floor or wall first? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
floor or wall first?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.