Discuss floor screed - vid clip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hi

i thought id post this clip, as it shows you how to do a floor screed the way a pro would.
its being laid over under floor heating too so it gives a little insight into the procedure of what to do and how to approach it.....they are not that hard to do!! :thumbsup:

the clip is a bit technical to begin with ie, flexi dry info but its worth listening to and if you just want to fast forward it to 1 min 45, it gets on with laying the screed!! they have doen this with a machine, you have to mix and just replace the tripod with ya wheel barrow:lol: hope you get something from it....

[video=youtube;HsaL2LVIbA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaL2LVIbA4&feature=related[/video]

ed

A

Aston

yeah, just the action of the screeding rule ;0) as you know, you can crack off hundreds of meters using this method.

i like to show things that are harder than people will actually comes across in a domestic scenario, because that makes them feel much more confident doing a kitchen floor of whatever........
make the training harder than the fight as they say..

also, if people are looking at australia or even their nvq3, then they expect you to be able to do a screed or at least set up dots etc

it all helps i suppose
ed

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Nice one Ed!:thumbsup:

Phil, when you were mudding floors here in the US, did you ever use float strips to ride the straightedge?

We use float strips for smaller floors, and for larger floors sometimes we'll build mud screeds the day before and let them harden, and then the next day we'll fill in the rest of the floor and bond the fresh mud to the mud screeds with thinset.

Another thing we've done for floors that were way out of whack is to set pieces of tile, usually 6X6's (that's in inches :smilewinkgrin:) in small bases of mud and using the laser to level these. And then we use those as reference points to bridge the straitedges .

We don't have the fancy machinery like in the video, just a big mud box and a hoe and a lot of buckets. :lol:

D

doug boardley

Phil, when you were mudding floors here in the US, did you ever use float strips to ride the straightedge?

We use float strips for smaller floors, and for larger floors sometimes we'll build mud screeds the day before and let them harden, and then the next day we'll fill in the rest of the floor and bond the fresh mud to the mud screeds with thinset.

Another thing we've done for floors that were way out of whack is to set pieces of tile, usually 6X6's (that's in inches :smilewinkgrin:) in small bases of mud and using the laser to level these. And then we use those as reference points to bridge the straitedges .

We don't have the fancy machinery like in the video, just a big mud box and a hoe and a lot of buckets. :lol:

If the room is big enough Rob, I use straight aluminium scaffold tubes. I find my straight slides really easily over them:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Rob, just seen this, I have used every method over the years. I have done as you say with tile dots to set levels, used the screed pumps etc. but mostly the same as Eds video. On large areas I compact the runners ( guides) and use a 3m (9' 10" aluminium straight edge:thumbsup:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

same as me phil, i have just bought a BRAND NEW STRAIGHT EDGE aly one!! can't wait to try it ,my old aly straight edge i have had for 25 year's from rapina &the new one is from them as well but it's not as wide,in the box section a mate of mine he is a full time screeder 25 ton's a day man recomended them he said they are so much easyer to use!! so ill give anything a go if it make's life easyer me!!

T

same as me phil, i have just bought a BRAND NEW STRAIGHT EDGE aly one!! can't wait to try it ,my old aly straight edge i have had for 25 year's from rapina &the new one is from them as well but it's not as wide,in the box section a mate of mine he is a full time screeder 25 ton's a day man recomended them he said they are so much easyer to use!! so ill give anything a go if it make's life easyer me!!

Hi Dave, I have mine made by Bensons ( Yorkshire firm I think) my latest is a 4.5m long cracker. A bit big for screeding, but handy for big floors.:thumbsup: Ed came for a visit today (always a pleasure seeing Ed). We were chatting about screeding and such, good to meet kindred spirits:thumbsup:

S

Spud

Hi Dave, I have mine made by Bensons ( Yorkshire firm I think) my latest is a 4.5m long cracker. A bit big for screeding, but handy for big floors.:thumbsup: Ed came for a visit today (always a pleasure seeing Ed). We were chatting about screeding and such, good to meet kindred spirits:thumbsup:
how are your hips after all that screeding phil? I still use wooden laths to set my levels ,tried the dot method a few times but always seem to over rub the dots with the straight edge and end up going out of level , using the laths I always seem to get a more compact accurate finish but I only screed 5-6 floors a year these days, I would like to get more practice with the dot method:thumbsup:

T

how are your hips after all that screeding phil? I still use wooden laths to set my levels ,tried the dot method a few times but always seem to over rub the dots with the straight edge and end up going out of level , using the laths I always seem to get a more compact accurate finish but I only screed 5-6 floors a year these days, I would like to get more practice with the dot method:thumbsup:

Hi Gary, my hips are wooden, they didn't have plastic in my day. Seriously though, screeding is just a knack. Once you get the hang of compacting runners in sand and cement, it is just a matter of practice. We used to use 25ton of readymix every day.:yikes:

I still love screeding, you can switch off a bit:thumbsup:

Reply to floor screed - vid clip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
T
Hi I know these questions have been asked time and time again but here goes ! I have a...
Replies
Views
B
We are our wits end ,, We had an Anhydrate Floor screed laid at 40 mm and was left for 6 weeks...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
floor screed - vid clip
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.