Discuss floor screed - vid clip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

same as me phil, i have just bought a BRAND NEW STRAIGHT EDGE aly one!! can't wait to try it ,my old aly straight edge i have had for 25 year's from rapina &the new one is from them as well but it's not as wide,in the box section a mate of mine he is a full time screeder 25 ton's a day man recomended them he said they are so much easyer to use!! so ill give anything a go if it make's life easyer me!!

Dave, I know what you mean about having a great straightedge. I'm still bitter about losing a nice 4' magnesium straightedge on a job 8+ years ago!:mad2::incazzato:

R

Rob Z

FYI , here's a tip in case it helps someone.

We've modified the "dot/tile" method for SLC over concrete slabs. We set pieces of small mosaic tile (1" X 1") in small blobs of Laticrete rapid setting epoxy, and level the upper surface of the mosaic with a laser. The epoxy sets up within minutes, and we can prime and prep the area as normal for SLC.

Then, when pouring the SLC, gauge your placement of the liquid so it just barely comes above the surface of the mosaic dot. If you do it correctly, the surface tension of the SLC will "bulge" around the mosaic dot and won't flow over the tile. Then, with your SLC rake, you can swoosh the liquid in that area a bit and the surface tension of the SLC will break and it will flow just barely across the tile.

We'll do 25-30 bag pours with just 3 of us, and as we say it's all "asses and elbows" while you're mixing and pouring and raking. There's no time at that point to worry about getting the levels right.

If someone hasn't already tried this method, I hope it helps on your next job.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Rob this is the way I use runners for SLC, using rapid set polymer sand and cement runners, put in from small tile dots set by laser. Same idea really. :thumbsup:

prep3.jpg prep2.jpg

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Here's another slant on it to get floor level regardless of the thickness of slc needed, find the highest point in the floor drill a shallow hole plug it and set a screw head 3mm above the surface, repeat this every 50 - 100cm or whatever you feel comfortable with trowelling level. Use your spirit level from the first one and adjust screw until level, repeat over the whole area, pour your slc level with the screw heads and trowel where necessary, you will now have a flat level floor, if you can't drill into the floor, use some rapid tile adhesive to stick small plastic packing shims to the concrete of varying thicknesses to get your levels.:thumbsup:

S

Scott

didnt go the way you wanted

That is the understatement of the year, its truly awful. The only saving grace is its only about 2000x1300, i know what your thinking, how canit be that small and that bad?

I had to get it done in a hurry and didnt have enough time/material to do it in one hit and i think that was my down fall. Standing on a par of step fitting a light the step were rocking all over the place. It will be fine though as im going to tile it anyway.

J

jay

That is the understatement of the year, its truly awful. The only saving grace is its only about 2000x1300, i know what your thinking, how canit be that small and that bad?

I had to get it done in a hurry and didnt have enough time/material to do it in one hit and i think that was my down fall. Standing on a par of step fitting a light the step were rocking all over the place. It will be fine though as im going to tile it anyway.

you could always remove and re do if you are not happy with it its a good skill to learn very handy at times

S

Scott

you could always remove and re do if you are not happy with it its a good skill to learn very handy at times
Its such a small area i cant be bothered and to be honest its such a pain as its the main entrance to the house. I will however earn from my mistakes :)

Ill post a pic on here when i refurb the downstairs to show you an out of level screed that you wouldnt believe

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

that sucks next health and saftey will stop tiling
yes you are right people try to do rendering to dry comes down to a dieing trade

Jay, I agree all trades are dying. Tiling is a prime example, I have witnessed over the years tiling skills being diluted. By that I mean people being trained by people who have little experience. Tiling is a very highly skilled profession if done correctly, preparation is essential, the ability to screed/ render etc. is paramount. This is just my opinion, and I do hope it doesn't offend anyone.:thumbsup:

Reply to floor screed - vid clip in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
T
Hi I know these questions have been asked time and time again but here goes ! I have a...
Replies
Views
B
We are our wits end ,, We had an Anhydrate Floor screed laid at 40 mm and was left for 6 weeks...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
floor screed - vid clip
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.