Discuss floor span in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

Re: floor spane

Ed,

I'm not too keen on 2 X 8's, but they might be OK on a short span. I have done floors on 2 X 8 joist systems, but only after checking out the span. In my area, there were a lot of houses built in the 70's and early 80's that had 2 X 8 joists, and that was a time that had a lot of cost-cutting in construction.

From my time on Harry Dunbar's Canadian site, and having a lot of correspondence with three of the guys on that site, I think it's safe to say that much of the engineering and codes that are in place in Canada are in place here in the US.

R

Rob Z

the states and canada are streets ahead of the uk on timber frame building and understand timber and how it behaves

that knowledge is limited in the uk as we are mainly masonry built, even timber frame is masonry clad which has caused all kinds of problems over the years

both Robs are right, its not as simple as ripping out and replacing. its structural work and needs to be treated as such

one question that hasnt been answered is why the joists need replacing

are the undersized and cant take the weight of a bathroom or have they rotted

if rotted ...........why

it the walls are lathe and plaster , have they been built across the joists

will cutting the joists out jeapordise the integrity of the building

this is work for a fully insured registered builder that understands structural work and has the experiance to deal with this kind of work safely

Hi Mike, In the older houses here, the floor joists were "let into" the masonry walls, which was/is essentially the only thing that kept the brick and block from moving laterally (and still it did). Is it the same way in the UK now?

M

mikethetile

Hi Mike, In the older houses here, the floor joists were "let into" the masonry walls, which was/is essentially the only thing that kept the brick and block from moving laterally (and still it did). Is it the same way in the UK now?
we use exactly the same method to tie buildings togethers and prevent walls moving outwards

hence the care needed when altering joists in buildings

M

mikethetile

we use exactly the same method to tie buildings togethers and prevent walls moving outwards

hence the care needed when altering joists in buildings

we have a system now where the ends of the joists are given plastic boots that are built into the masonry to prevent end rot

in some instances you can hang the floor on joist hangers so the joists are not tied in but are cut tight between the walls

this can only be done if the floor isnt designed to tie the building together

R

Rob Z

Good info, Mike!:thumbsup:

We start work soon on a whole-house remodel in Washington DC, circa 1900. I'll be seeing lots of masonry detail on that one. The other interesting thing to see on those old houses is that there in no structural steel of any sort-all headers and so forth are big pieces of timber spanning the openings.

The only thing holding these houses together is gravity and habit. :D

If there is ever an earthquake here these houses will collapse.:yikes:

I

Ian Harris

If there are problems with a deflecting floor due to undersized joists the situation can be improved by gluing and screwing plywood to the underside
of the joist which creates a stressed skin floor
This may be easier than replacing the floor joist in some instances
but of course you will need to re board the ceiling
A structural engineer will advise on what improvement can be obtained
Gluing and screwing the plywood floor instead of just screwing also improves deflection

Reply to floor span in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am building a new bathroom in my own house. The room is on the first floor in a newly...
Replies
Views
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
floor span
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.