Discuss Getting close to crunch time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

velcro

TF
naples tile.JPG
Hello all.

When I joined back in January, I explained that I had a self-build project with 150m2 floor tiling ahead of me.

It's now getting close to the point at which I've got to get stuck in.

Firstly, it's unfair to single out individuals from a site so full of great advice, but I've got to say many thanks to both Ajax & sWe in particular for their posts on anhydrite screed & tiling guides respectively.

Having no doubt unwisely upset the rest of you who should also have had plaudits, here's what I plan to do - I'm really looking for any hints & tips to make the project a) easier to complete and b) more likely to deliver something that's going to look good and last (plus any "No! - don't do that!"'s).

It's a long post, so thanks in advance for those with the willpower to get to the end.

The floor tiles I'm laying are Italian porcelaine - Rondine Naples Nola, 45x45 and 34x34. I'll use the large ones for the larger rooms, and the small ones for small rooms & maybe as a visual break between rooms. The rooms vary in size from 20m2 to 40m2 for the larger rooms, and 6 to 9m2 for the small ones. The walls are very thick, so there's a 60 to 90cm long corridor between rooms. I plan to lay the tiles in the large rooms on the diagonal.
The picture is of the smaller tile. You can see the edge is square, but the surface is "chipped". The tiles are much lighter than the photo.

The tiles are to be laid on an anhydrite liquid screed, so the surface should be ultra level. The screed is on top of a wet underfloor heating system which has not yet been commissioned. The plan is that this will be commissioned & gradually brought up to temperature before I start, with it switched off 2 days or so before I start. The edge insulation put down when the UFH was installed is sticking up above the level of the screed, with gaps between it & the stone wall.

Q1 - do I cut the insulation down to the level of the screed, or tile to the insulation (would leave large gaps between tiles & the wall - not very pretty)?

Q2 - any suggestions on what I should use to fill in the gaps between the insulation & the stone wall (up to 5cm wide & perhaps 15cm deep)?

The adhesive proposed by the tile shop is ParexLanko 556 Prolifluide Anhydrite, and according to the technical sheet, I can lay it without priming the screed, using a 20mm half-moon trowel, without needing to back butter the tiles.

I'm thinking of using BAL Superflex Wide Joint grout, limestone or sandstone coloured.

I have a paddle I've used in the past for mixing plaster. It's 10cm diameter on a 60cm shaft. I also have a BAL thick bed solid bed trowel (20mm round notches with a 10mm depth & 28mm centres).

Q3 - bearing in mind that I'm going to be much slower than you guys, and will therefore be mixing smaller quantities of adhesive, will my paddle do, or do I need to buy one of the 20cm paddles from TT?

Q4 - when I use the trowel to spread the adhesive, do I press down to make sure that the edge of the trowel scrapes the screed, and what angle should I hold it at?

I plan to put expansion joints in the doorways - I think I can avoid any in the middle of the rooms. The large rooms are 5m wide, and vary from 4m long to 8m long.

Q5 - should I use silicon for the expansion joints (I was thinking that BAL Microseal Champagne might be a close match) or one of the Schluter expansion joints?

Q6 - is a 3mm grout line OK? (I'm hoping that the "chipped" edge will be forgiving of my lack of experience) - I would rather avoid a wide grout, if I can.

I plan to get the following bits & pieces (courtesy of TT):
Washboy
Nippers
Rubbing block
Circular cutter
Tile pencils
Angle finder
scribe

Q6 - what am I missing? (I've got some Nailers knee pads, so my knees should be OK)

If you got this far, many thanks. I'll be posting another epic shortly on my plans for the wetrooms & walls.

D

david campbell

View attachment 17434
Hello all.

When I joined back in January, I explained that I had a self-build project with 150m2 floor tiling ahead of me.

It's now getting close to the point at which I've got to get stuck in.

Firstly, it's unfair to single out individuals from a site so full of great advice, but I've got to say many thanks to both Ajax & sWe in particular for their posts on anhydrite screed & tiling guides respectively.

Having no doubt unwisely upset the rest of you who should also have had plaudits, here's what I plan to do - I'm really looking for any hints & tips to make the project a) easier to complete and b) more likely to deliver something that's going to look good and last (plus any "No! - don't do that!"'s).

It's a long post, so thanks in advance for those with the willpower to get to the end.

The floor tiles I'm laying are Italian porcelaine - Rondine Naples Nola, 45x45 and 34x34. I'll use the large ones for the larger rooms, and the small ones for small rooms & maybe as a visual break between rooms. The rooms vary in size from 20m2 to 40m2 for the larger rooms, and 6 to 9m2 for the small ones. The walls are very thick, so there's a 60 to 90cm long corridor between rooms. I plan to lay the tiles in the large rooms on the diagonal.
The picture is of the smaller tile. You can see the edge is square, but the surface is "chipped". The tiles are much lighter than the photo.

The tiles are to be laid on an anhydrite liquid screed, so the surface should be ultra level. The screed is on top of a wet underfloor heating system which has not yet been commissioned. The plan is that this will be commissioned & gradually brought up to temperature before I start, with it switched off 2 days or so before I start. The edge insulation put down when the UFH was installed is sticking up above the level of the screed, with gaps between it & the stone wall.

Q1 - do I cut the insulation down to the level of the screed, or tile to the insulation (would leave large gaps between tiles & the wall - not very pretty)?
cut it down
Q2 - any suggestions on what I should use to fill in the gaps between the insulation & the stone wall (up to 5cm wide & perhaps 15cm deep)?
what about ready mixed mortar
The adhesive proposed by the tile shop is ParexLanko 556 Prolifluide Anhydrite, and according to the technical sheet, I can lay it without priming the screed, using a 20mm half-moon trowel, without needing to back butter the tiles.

I'm thinking of using BAL Superflex Wide Joint grout, limestone or sandstone coloured.

I have a paddle I've used in the past for mixing plaster. It's 10cm diameter on a 60cm shaft. I also have a BAL thick bed solid bed trowel (20mm round notches with a 10mm depth & 28mm centres).

Q3 - bearing in mind that I'm going to be much slower than you guys, and will therefore be mixing smaller quantities of adhesive, will my paddle do, or do I need to buy one of the 20cm paddles from TT?
start in a larger room and mix up small amounts this will let you guage what you can work through
Q4 - when I use the trowel to spread the adhesive, do I press down to make sure that the edge of the trowel scrapes the screed, and what angle should I hold it at?
you will naturally feel the angle on which your trowel moves along the screed,just make sure you don't hold it too flat
I plan to put expansion joints in the doorways - I think I can avoid any in the middle of the rooms. The large rooms are 5m wide, and vary from 4m long to 8m long.

Q5 - should I use silicon for the expansion joints (I was thinking that BAL Microseal Champagne might be a close match) or one of the Schluter expansion joints?
personal choice,a lot of people prefer silicone joints to match the grout in homes
Q6 - is a 3mm grout line OK? (I'm hoping that the "chipped" edge will be forgiving of my lack of experience) - I would rather avoid a wide grout, if I can.
3mm will be fine
I plan to get the following bits & pieces (courtesy of TT):
Washboy
Nippers
Rubbing block
Circular cutter
Tile pencils
Angle finder
scribe
manual tile cutter
spirit level
Q6 - what am I missing? (I've got some Nailers knee pads, so my knees should be OK)

If you got this far, many thanks. I'll be posting another epic shortly on my plans for the wetrooms & walls.

good luck

velcro

TF
Thanks David.

I've got a big clinker manual cutter, which has worked ok for ceramic tiles. I'm hoping it'll be ok for these porcelain ones (only ever done ceramic in the past), and I've got a Forge Steel level set from Screwfix with 72", 48" & 24" levels. - not the highest quality, but good enough for what I'll be able to achieve, I'm sure.

I'm with you on the "start with small quantities & see what you can do" - will my small plaster paddle be OK ?

Cheers.

D

david campbell

Thanks David.

I've got a big clinker manual cutter, which has worked ok for ceramic tiles. I'm hoping it'll be ok for these porcelain ones (only ever done ceramic in the past), and I've got a Forge Steel level set from Screwfix with 72", 48" & 24" levels. - not the highest quality, but good enough for what I'll be able to achieve, I'm sure.

I'm with you on the "start with small quantities & see what you can do" - will my small plaster paddle be OK ?

Cheers.

big clinker will be fine! i've got one and they are outstanding value for money,you might need to tighten the breaker screw if your doing a lot of repetative cuts:thumbsup:

velcro

TF
Is this job in France.......just curious as to why a French adhesive. Is it cheaper than/available in the UK?

Yes ... it's in France, on top of a Lafarge screed (Agilia Sols A), and with 150m2 to do, I didn't think that buying the addy here would be a good plan. The price I've been quoted (29.90 EUR for a 25kg bag) didn't seem too bad.

Haven't made up my mind about the grout yet ... with smaller volumes, I could buy it over here, and I've been thinking about BAL Superflex or Superflex Wide.

velcro

TF
You are missing a good bottle of scotch, a quiet place to escape to when things look bad and a good holiday when your finished!!!

Good luck, be calm take your time and remember this will be your master piece...:thumbsup:

One of the nice things about it being in France is that wine is in abundant supply. It's also in the back of beyond, with no telly or internet, so come the evening, after tools have been downed, there's little to do other than sit in front of the fire with the music in the background, a good book & a bottle of local red. :8:

Re my masterpiece, I sincerely hope so, but time will tell.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
just a thought, used 'french' mapei before and the weather was cold (for southern france) and setting times were miles slower, so would our addy go off too fast? answers on a postcard please...

Gypsum based adhesive tend to be rapid setting anyway regardless of whether they are French made or UK made. Typical ot life of 40 minutes and you should spread no more than you can lay tiles in about 10 minutes cos it starts to skin on the floor. I know Creative are working on this but it is a time away yet. The French boys do this so much better though cos they are used to using these adhesives.

25 Euros is about the same sort of price as the UK gear (converted) so sounds about right.

one interesting story I had a couple of weeks ago was that a builder had used Gyvlon Screed and then tiled using Gypsum based adhesive but had to remove a couple of tiles to do a repair to a hearth. He said he had a biatch of a job getting the tiles up.......not the issue I usually get complaints about.

Reply to Getting close to crunch time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Getting close to crunch time
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks