Discuss Getting close to crunch time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

velcro

TF
just a thought, used 'french' mapei before and the weather was cold (for southern france) and setting times were miles slower, so would our addy go off too fast? answers on a postcard please...

I won't be able to tile until the UFH has been commissioned & brought up to temperature, so I'm not expecting to be able to start until December, when the average day temperature is 9 or 10, dropping to 1 or 2 overnight. In the house, I don't expect it to fall below 6. There'll be little or no heating in the house (I'll have to have the UFH off, and will just have a wood burning stove to heat the whole house). There'll be no traffic, and no great pressure to grout, so I don't suppose slow setting times will be an issue. In fact, given my novice status, I'll probably need all the time I can get :)

velcro

TF
Velcro - did you source the adhesive yourself or were you given any advice from Lafarge Beton or La Chappe Liquide in making the choice?

This was the addy recommended by the tile shop where I got the vast majority of my tiles. I've had great difficulty talking to the guy that laid the screed - I get answerphone which he doesn't reply to & no response from my emails. About all he has done is send me a quote, do the work & then send me the bill. I've not spoken to anyone at Lafarge. Do you think there's an issue with the addy? The technote looks a good fit.

If anyone's interested, the screed was 21eur +VAT per m2 for a depth of 5-6cm.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
This was the addy recommended by the tile shop where I got the vast majority of my tiles. I've had great difficulty talking to the guy that laid the screed - I get answerphone which he doesn't reply to & no response from my emails. About all he has done is send me a quote, do the work & then send me the bill. I've not spoken to anyone at Lafarge. Do you think there's an issue with the addy? The technote looks a good fit.

If anyone's interested, the screed was 21eur +VAT per m2 for a depth of 5-6cm.

No Velcro I don't think that there is a problem with the addy at all - on the contrary it makes a change to see someone pick the right stuff. Gypsum on Gypsum means no adverse reactions and a long term bond. Having said that of course there are shed loads more Gyvlon screeds going down in France compared to over here. I was just wondering if Lafarge over there were as pro active as we are over here. I guess though if the tile shops are advising correctly then Lafarge don't need to interfere really.

I just read what I typed and am now wondering how many people I will offend by the content......sorry everyone......:thumbsup:

velcro

TF
There is no reason why you shouldn't have the underfloor heating running to give you a surface temperature of 15 to 20 degrees C whilst you tile is there?

Oooh ... if only. Unfortunately, the sticker (from Lafarge) left by the "chapiste" said I have to bring it up to temperature progressively, and then stop it at least 2 days before tiling. If I knew what I was doing, and had +ve experience of not doing it this way, I'd be tempted, but as a newbie I don't think I've got any choice but to follow the tech notes.

Typical life of 40 minutes and you should spread no more than you can lay tiles in about 10 minutes cos it starts to skin on the floor.

that'll be about 2 tiles then :smilewinkgrin:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Oooh ... if only. Unfortunately, the sticker (from Lafarge) left by the "chapiste" said I have to bring it up to temperature progressively, and then stop it at least 2 days before tiling. If I knew what I was doing, and had +ve experience of not doing it this way, I'd be tempted, but as a newbie I don't think I've got any choice but to follow the tech notes.

that'll be about 2 tiles then :smilewinkgrin:

Could be a long winter then :lol:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
yes ... I am going to put up another post in the wetroom thread about my plans for the bathroom ... going to use BAL WP1 from here to tank it.

I thought French Building regs prohibitted the use of Gypsum substrates in Bathroom floors. Is that not correct then. I would have though Agilia Sol C steel would have been more appropriate over there in the bathroom floor. Not that it is a problem if you intend to tank it anyway.

velcro

TF
21 Euro for 100m2at 50 to 60mm is a little more than that size job would go for over here but then it does depend on the material costs. Was it screed only installation or did they do the prep work as well.

I assumed that the plumber did all the prep work as part of laying the UFH, but I may be wrong. The quote includes sanding the laitence (which, I've discovered, is "brillant de surface" in French, and sanding is "ponçage" - every day is a school day)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Is this Ok Alan, to have the ufh on whilst you tile, never knew that:thumbsup: learn something new on this site everyday:thumbsup:

To be honest Phil I am not entirely certain as no one can seem to give me a deffinitive answer. It makes sense thoguh that the screed is at the right temperature to receive the adhesive i.e. ideal 20 degrees C. I know it sometimes happens and I am unaware of any issues resulting. I guess that Velcro has it right though - if the addy manufacturer and the screed suppliers say it must be cold then it must be cold.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I assumed that the plumber did all the prep work as part of laying the UFH, but I may be wrong. The quote includes sanding the laitence (which, I've discovered, is "brillant de surface" in French, and sanding is "ponçage" - every day is a school day)

oooohh! get you with your posh French stuff. :thumbsup:

Reply to Getting close to crunch time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Getting close to crunch time
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.