Discuss glazed porcelain, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

How can you price without knowing fully what's involved??... Never mind, there's a lesson to be learned here for you, let's get the job first then we shall talk you through it.

well i walked in expecting an empty conservatory but it was fully furnished with a fridge and a freezer, table chairs the lot even had to move the cat that was lying in a dog basket to measure the room lol

- - - Updated - - -

yeh its inexperience of quoting kicking in i suppose mate

C

charlie1

well i walked in expecting an empty conservatory but it was fully furnished with a fridge and a freezer, table chairs the lot even had to move the cat that was lying in a dog basket to measure the room lol

- - - Updated - - -

yeh its inexperience of quoting kicking in i suppose mate

In these situations, I always price on the heavy side just in case! I hate having to put my prices up during a job. So, worst case scenario, you need to buy 5-6 bag slc and 2 hrs of your time to sort it out (big deal). Floor might be bang on if your v lucky!

R

Rossymcg

In these situations, I always price on the heavy side just in case! I hate having to put my prices up during a job. So, worst case scenario, you need to buy 5-6 bag slc and 2 hrs of your time to sort it out (big deal). Floor might be bang on if your v lucky!

But that's another £100+ on the job if it needs self leveling, if the floor is up and down then extra adhesive is required to butter hitting the pocket,
tea bag the 6ft level is your best friend when pricing and consider cuts, cuts and holes can add an extra day on to a job plus the cost of hole cutters blades etc,
people tend to learn very quickly when it comes to pricing

C

charlie1

But that's another £100+ on the job if it needs self leveling, if the floor is up and down then extra adhesive is required to butter hitting the pocket,
tea bag the 6ft level is your best friend when pricing and consider cuts, cuts and holes can add an extra day on to a job plus the cost of hole cutters blades etc,
people tend to learn very quickly when it comes to pricing

yes, but I'd sooner spend ethe extra 100 on slc rather than a building up adhesive, esp with PP

R

Rossymcg

yes, but I'd sooner spend ethe extra 100 on slc rather than a building up adhesive, esp with PP
i know thats my point Tea Bag has gave a price with out considering the actual work involved, he's gona be 1er down before he starts, if he picks up the tiles with addy its going to take twice as long and twice as much addy,
Tea bag get on to the client and state your price is excluding slc, the price will go up by 100 (or what ever it is you need to charge to cover your time and the slc) if it does need doing and youll show him/her before you commence why and where it needs slc due o the fact that you couldnt fully assess the floor due to the room being full,
I'd also pop round the day before to slc so i can start to lay straight away in the morning.

M

Mr Tiler

SLC can be very hard to get right if you're inexperienced. Have seen customers/trades making a floor much worse trying to 'help' the tiler by levelling a floor.
I have seen it been done too mate lol. well ive been told a few times the more you mess with the stuff the more chance of mucking it up, I would just give it a spread and roll over with the spiked roller. no call back today so im guessing I didn't land it in the end anyway as she said she would let me know by tmoz. oh well its a little bit relieving tbh can carry on trying to find the smaller jobs lol. cheers

G

Gazzer

I have seen it been done too mate lol. well ive been told a few times the more you mess with the stuff the more chance of mucking it up, I would just give it a spread and roll over with the spiked roller. no call back today so im guessing I didn't land it in the end anyway as she said she would let me know by tmoz. oh well its a little bit relieving tbh can carry on trying to find the smaller jobs lol. cheers

Do you have a spiked roller ?

M

Mr Tiler

Do you have a spiked roller ?
no mate but I will be purchasing one when the time comes

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Mt T for hijacking this thread. Sir ramic, in relation to your question. Would you always use a spike roller on all the floors you self level and what could be the consequences for not getting rid of the air bubbles. Just wandering as I'm self levelling a floor soon. About 6.5m2.
Many thanks
that is ok buddy I have done my fair share lol

R

Rossymcg

after initial mix I let it stand in the bucket for a couple of minutes to let air bubbles surface, then give it a low speed mix for 30 seconds. That seems to get rid of the air bubbles.
Me to but I always shake the mixing bucket, the bubbles surface quickly then and last little mix I do manually to prevent paddle adding more air, just my way maybe wrong but it puts my mind at ease

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to glazed porcelain, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB