Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Going Nuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

I'm looking for a job and to keep the tiling part-time like i was doing.

well in that case, to get a full time job, you need to be putting in full time hours looking for one. i used to get up at 7.30, shower, get dressed, breakfast, boot the laptop up and be ready at my "desk" for 9am. the job centre made me create a log of all my job hunting activities (so I could prove that I wasn't sitting around doing nowt). this definitely helped. it was nice to see job applications turning into interviews.

do you have an up to date CV?
have you been for any interview training?
have you been watching The Fairy Jobmother on C4? Hayley Taylor is straight talking and has some good tips.
do you need help with anything? I'm a HR manager and will gladly assist with creating CV's, covering letters, interview techniques etc.

and if you can un/load the dishwasher/washing machine once a day, or cook a meal (casserole with jacket potatoe - 1 pot, straight in the oven), then she'll think you're wonderful :thumbsup:

R

Rad2474

well in that case, to get a full time job, you need to be putting in full time hours looking for one. i used to get up at 7.30, shower, get dressed, breakfast, boot the laptop up and be ready at my "desk" for 9am. the job centre made me create a log of all my job hunting activities (so I could prove that I wasn't sitting around doing nowt). this definitely helped. it was nice to see job applications turning into interviews.

have you been watching The Fairy Jobmother on C4? Hayley Taylor is straight talking and has some good tips.
do you need help with anything? I'm a HR manager and will gladly assist with creating CV's, covering letters, interview techniques etc.

and if you can un/load the dishwasher/washing machine once a day, or cook a meal (casserole with jacket potatoe - 1 pot, straight in the oven), then she'll think you're wonderful :thumbsup:
Thanks Liz, yeah my cv is up to date,i've a few things in the pipeline but everything is moving so very slowly,had an interview last week waiting to hear back from it.

D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks Liz, yeah my cv is up to date,i've a few things in the pipeline but everything is moving so very slowly,had an interview last week waiting to hear back from it.

no point sitting around waiting. did you get the interview through an agency or did you go direct to the company?

whichever way around, ring somebody in the morning and start nagging people until they tell you what's going on.

as a recruiter at the moment, i'd rather speak to the candidates that keep in touch with me, take time to come down to the plant to see me, keep me updated with changes to their CV or temporary work they may be doing. one guy I know did all that and waited 18 months for the right job to come up. he's on board now and loving it :hurray:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

no point sitting around waiting. did you get the interview through an agency or did you go direct to the company?

whichever way around, ring somebody in the morning and start nagging people until they tell you what's going on.

as a recruiter at the moment, i'd rather speak to the candidates that keep in touch with me, take time to come down to the plant to see me, keep me updated with changes to their CV or temporary work they may be doing. one guy I know did all that and waited 18 months for the right job to come up. he's on board now and loving it :hurray:

^^ That's all probably the best advice you'll hear in this thread. ;)

And yeah, that Fairy Jobmother deserves a medal. If only the job centre were actually like that.

D

Daz

With regards to interviews......

I used to be in sales and these comments were always used in first, second and third interviews. I never held back and only ever got knocked back on one job.

"How do you feel about me?"
"Do you think I will fit in with the team?"
"What is your recruitment process, i.e. timescale, second / third interview?"
There's loads more but the one question that you should always ask at the end of an interview is.......

"Have I got the job / second interview etc.?"

All recruiters like confident and direct employees, it is what stands you out from the crowd and will get you noticed.

Incidentally, I have been consistently busy as a tiler. I believe that it is because I close the deal before I leave the customers house. A simple question like "when do you want me to start?" usually does the job.

Good luck mate :thumbsup:.
Stay positive.

M

mikebidd

Dont let it get too ui too much. iv just been thro all this. And everyone on here kept me smiling,

A few trade secrets.
1) agree to do tidying then start about 10 mins before she gets in from work so just as shes walking in your hoovering (ibvousley oblivouse too her walking in) with that god iv been at it all day look on.

2) if you have too do the washing "accidently" break the washing machine you wont be allowed near it ever again.

best off luck too you mate things DO get better:thumbsup:

Reply to Going Nuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Hi all. I'm about to be made redundant at the printing company I've worked at for 23 years since...
Replies
Views
P
Started a job yesterday on an en suite (rather large 42sqm). Using a 60 x 30 beige porcelain for...
Replies
Views
charlie1
C
M
I'm hoping to do my course start of next year they question is how much should I put away for...
Replies
Views
D
it's in one hand -and out the other . £692.64 new brake-pads/discs, £81.80, code read £...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
M
I posted on here about 5 months ago not knowing if I should stay in the army or try become a...
Replies
Views
Minty913
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Going Nuts
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.