Discuss good place to get good tools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

liam

Hi all

Me again, i am looking at getting my tools to get started. At CTA the price list was around £400. does anyone know of anywhere online, or in the west midlands where i can get some good tools. i thought of maybe screwfix. also to start with do i need

Rubi cutter
Wet Cutter
bucket trowel/wall trowel/floor trowel - cant remember the mm
grout float
tile nippers
tile cutters
spirit level
flexi bucket(i think thats what the list says)
tape measure
tile file
washboy(maybe)

i cant remember the rest. if you feel anything else should be added please say

cheers again :thumbsup:

Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Rubi cutter....What model ?
Wet Cutter....Again ???
bucket trowel/wall trowel/floor trowel - cant remember the mm....You need more than one spreading trowel, at least a 6mm and 8mm IMO to start with.
grout float.....i would go with a Raimondi float available locally
tile nippers...Rubi
tile cutters....???? havent we discussed this
spirit level....You could shop around local but Stabila is quality, I do like my FatMax though
flexi bucket(i think thats what the list says) Most Diy shops have these.
tape measure... as above but tradetiler do a nice metric only one
tile file......again you could get local
washboy(maybe)....Gotta be Karl Dahm...dont buy inferior.

Like I say you could buy some kit locally but while you are online with TT they sell all you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

liam

i was thinking of buying soon to be honest as my parents want the shower area re done and i have a couple of friends at work who want stuff done i thought the sooner the better and with what you said earlier about what types i was going to get the the Rubi TS 50 plus and wet cutter on the trade tiler the one on there is the Vitrex - QEP Pro-750 Wet Saw.

i didnt think of all those little bits either like you have mentioned.:mad2:

i thought what i said would get me going then obviously get more things when i can do other things or possibly work for someone, as i will only be doing word of mouth until i can get in somewhere. WELL thats the plan anyway:smilewinkgrin:

G

Gazzer

The Vitrex is not a bad machine, you do have to check it as soon as you get it though as these type of cutters can suffer from wobble on the wheel which leads to chipping tile, pretty similar to how the Plasplugs machines were. Get a good one and it will serve you well.

The Rubi is a well know and good cutter. Probably your best choice seeing as you can only have one, later on you will probably get a smaller one and a larger one...then the 50 will be redundant but you have to start somewhere.

All the other tools will come eventually and you dont have to buy it all in one go.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Seeing your just starting out i suggest you dont buy the most expensive tools right away , but gradually build it up as you go.

Tile cutter - Tradetiler does a Rubi ti s 66 for around £200 or you get a cheaper one like the Big Clinker from screwfix for about £100

Wet cutter -buy a cheap one from B&Q , it will do the job

115mm angle grinder and a diamond wheel

Nippers - dont buy cheap they fall apart ,get the rubi ones from Tradetiler

Trowels - rubi from tradetiler, 6 , 8 and 12mm for starters , get a gauging trowel as well

Grout float - Tradetiler has a selection

Washboy - dont bother to start with , get some good quality hydro sponges, you can get one later..

Good luck mate hope this helps...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
The Vitrex is not a bad machine, you do have to check it as soon as you get it though as these type of cutters can suffer from wobble on the wheel which leads to chipping tile, pretty similar to how the Plasplugs machines were. Get a good one and it will serve you well.

The Rubi is a well know and good cutter. Probably your best choice seeing as you can only have one, later on you will probably get a smaller one and a larger one...then the 50 will be redundant but you have to start somewhere.

All the other tools will come eventually and you dont have to buy it all in one go.

Ah....? I wondered why my Plasplugs (RIP) cutter chipped my tiles.
I cant believe I used to use it for every cut tile, buying a manual cutter (Big Clinker) has sped things up no end.

Last edited:

Reply to good place to get good tools in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Am I a ****? Bumped into a builder in my local and he sees I do tiling so asks me to...
Replies
Views
This may seem and odd question...but when I did a tiling training course, we were taught when...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
good place to get good tools
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.