UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Gyvlon again in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Moisture testing would generally be the responsibility of the main contractor but obviously in domestics there usually is not one. However if it were me being asked to tile the floor I would want my own piece of mind and test it myself. Testing with a hygrometer is very simple. You stick it the floor and leave it there for 48 to 72 hours and then read it. If it says below the % required by the adhesive ie 75 for cement 85 for gypsum then you are ok to tile. If it is above the numbers it is not ready. Drying depends heavily on site conditions. Warm and well ventillated is best. You can cotract out moisture teting for about £400 but you can buy a hygrometer for £30 so i know which i would do. Calibration is also important to make sure you read accurately. Further advice available on request.

I must be really thick or paranoid but I cant find suitable Hygrometers anywhere....all I find on flooring webshops is digital which I know is not good ?

S

stoner

I did a 50m2 last week. I just used a sander and dust mask. It took me all day, it was like being on beach when i'd done so i hovered it all up and tried again to sand more off and i could barely touch it. 1 coat of bal apd diluted 1:1 left it to dry until next day then 1 coat neat on top. Saturday was a far worse day, 50m2 0f 60x30 porcelain grouted with bal superflex charcoal.

Not laughing!! lol

E

EVILUTION1X

Hi AJAX123

the above is just what i have been looking for.... i will be using nicobond gypfix and i have been told it works best with 'no primer'.

My floor is 50-55mm thick and will have been down for 120 days before laying 22mm sand stone slabs/tiles.

May i ask, if the scarifer here is ok for the cleaning job?... HSS Hire - Floor Scarifier Hire and Rent the reason i ask, is because i cant view the links you have added on the next page to this thread.

Also, what is the difference between a stabilizing primer and a primer (whilst i will hoover and hoover, is it worth using a stabilizing primer?)

kindest regards
David

D

Daz

I used Nicobond Gypfix a couple of weeks ago. Nicobond say that there is no need to use primer. The pot life, open time and performance are exactly as stated on the bag in my experience.

IMG_0525.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0529.jpg IMG_0532.jpg IMG_0544.jpg IMG_0545.jpg

I will be using it to fix these in a few weeks.....

IMG_0542.jpg

And then I will be doing the remainder of the floor with 22mm honed sandstone - I can't wait :smilewinkgrin: :drool5:

Daz

W

White Room

I used Nicobond Gypfix a couple of weeks ago. Nicobond say that there is no need to use primer. The pot life, open time and performance are exactly as stated on the bag in my experience.

View attachment 31861 View attachment 31862 View attachment 31863 View attachment 31864 View attachment 31866 View attachment 31867

I will be using it to fix these in a few weeks.....

View attachment 31865

And then I will be doing the remainder of the floor with 22mm honed sandstone - I can't wait :smilewinkgrin: :drool5:

Daz

Did you have to do grinding/hoovering bit first

D

Daz

What have you been using to abrade the floor ?

Did you have to do grinding/hoovering bit first

I used a belt sander with 60 grit paper. The sanded floor was thoroughly swept with a soft brush and then vacuumed with a "Henry".

It took a day to do 75sqm and I made sure that I was wearing gloves, goggles and a breathing mask. The sanding part is a proper dusty job :sick:.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Gyvlon again in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Gyvlon again
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.