Discuss gyvlon screed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

That's a good price.

I've got 1 sat by in a shop in Glasgow that I haven't picked up yet, almost double that price!!

I had a headache for over 2 weeks trying to sort out a Gyvlon screed, it's now getting left till mid October.

I just lost a Gyvlon job this week due to the builder needing to have floor coverings for a show flat. Floor was 92%RH so I wasnt about to do it.

S

Stef

I just lost a Gyvlon job this week due to the builder needing to have floor coverings for a show flat. Floor was 92%RH so I wasnt about to do it.

You will get it second time round as someone will tile it & it won't last a year!!

I spoke to Mapei technical & they told me "You don't have to worry about RH as that's only for carpets, wooden floors etc, it doesn't have to be 75%.

Told this story to Mark @ Gyvlon yesterday & he was shocked to say the least..

M

Mark S

The 2 recognised by BS as being the most accurate are a Hygrometer box, or carbide bomb.
Hygrometer take 36 hours to get reading after putting the box in place, Carbide bomb means breaking a bit of screed out to crush to a powder to the measure the moisture, but takes 10 minutes.
Both types are available I believe from F Ball, or most good tool hire shops.
An oven test on a section is by far the most accurate, but again requires removing a piece (2-3sq cm), and again takes 48 hours in the oven, to dry and weigh etc.
An unheated gyvlon floor can have a dpm aplied at 87%RH
PM me for more thoughts

S

Stef

So a couple of questions from me:

1. What is the rough £/M² of a Gyvlon screed?

2. Who makes the gypsum adhesives to tile on them and how much are they?

Trying to convince the builder that a Gyvlon would be a better method given I've just put down 36 bags of level flex + labour and thats only half the job. ( floor was a shocker )

Diggy

Tile master AnhyFix for adhesive.
Try Lee @ Tiletown for prices.
Not tried it myself but good reports coming back on it.

I've had the same kind of thing with a builder I work for.
Trying to tell them the benefits of a level screed over putting in bags & bags of leveller.

So a couple of questions from me:

1. What is the rough £/M² of a Gyvlon screed?

2. Who makes the gypsum adhesives to tile on them and how much are they?

Trying to convince the builder that a Gyvlon would be a better method given I've just put down 36 bags of level flex + labour and thats only half the job. ( floor was a shocker )

Diggy
norcross do an adhesive called tile to gypsum £25-£30 a bag

We use hygrometer's but even these are not 100% reliable on anhydrite screed, the readings can fluctuate from day to day. They are useful as a guide but still not bullet proof. I am lead to believe that drilling a core sample is the most efficient way to take an accurate moisture reading.

I would advise people to follow the general rule for drying times of 1 day per mm for the first 40mm and 2 days per mm for anything above 40mm. As an example, 70mm of anhydrite screed = 100 days for drying. Because all anhydrite screeds are used internally, the drying conditions are usually ideal and therefore the general rule for drying should be quite accurate.

We have used this guidance for the last 5 years with our cement adhesives and more recently our gypsum based adhesive and it has proved successful.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I rang mapei technical about a gyvlon screed and they told me you must never put any finishing product never mind just tiling until you've got 0.5 water by weight result from a carbide bomb test. They said you can't do a RH test on anhydrite screed only sand and cement screed.

They are wrong...

Reply to gyvlon screed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB